Chapter 4

Five hours later, after lots of cuddles and some breakfast, Dipper and I headed north to Lantern River. We decided to make it a lot road trip, as part as our anniversary. The backseat was piled with our overnight luggage and clippings from potential apartments. We had just hit the thirty minute mark in the car heading north, and I followed suit; I rested my head against Dipper's shoulder and he snaked his arm around my shoulders, using only one had to drive. Ever since and I got together and he got his drivers license, this has been our normal routine. We try and take advantage of every minute along we get. The car ride had been pretty quite, until Dipper cleared his throat and spoke up. 

"It's so weird to think that yesterday was five years, isn't it?" 

"It really is. I still remember it like is was yesterday," I replied as I traced his chest. How could I forget? My misfortune with Owen at Homecoming and heading home early, only to find clues scattered about the Mystery Shack and upon finding the last one, finding my twin brother on the top of the roof, spilling his heart out to me. It was the night of many firsts. First kiss, first "I love you" and the first night we spent the night together in the same bed. So much has changed since then; it was weird to think how much time has passed. 

"Where do you think we would be right now if we weren't...together? Like this?" Dipper asked quietly. I looked up at him as I tried to find the words to reply. 

"I...I think we would be lost, Dipper. Even before us, when I was "with" Owen, I still always longed for you. And it...it really hurt, you know? If things didn't end up the way we did, I think I would feel that constance hurting...of wanting to be with you, but...not actually being with you...." I replied, feeling myself shed a tear just even thinking about it. Dipper looked down at me and pulled over the car. He put the car in park and lifted up my face, wiping away my stray tears with his thumb.

"Mabel, shh. Please don't cry, I didn't mean to make you upset. I'm so sorry," Dipper said as tears began to prick his eyes. I wiped his tears like he did for mine, and the minute I pulled my thumb away, he grabbed my face and kissed me slowly. I pulled away slowly, resting my head against his. 

"What was that for?" 

"I always want to kiss you, Mabel. I never want to forget how the love of my life's lips taste pressed against mine," he whispered, diving in for another kiss.