Chapter 19

After Mabel scored herself a job, she insisted we go back to the food mart and fill out an application for me and the same red-head was still working. He was more than willing to give me an application, and he said his boss would call me tomorrow to schedule an interview. I waved goodbye, and left the store hand-in-hand with Mabel, relieved to have accomplished our goal for today.

"I feel like we've done so much, yet so little," Mabel said, her face scrunching up in confusion. 

"We've done a lot in quite some time, I must say. You got a job, and I'm going to an interview tomorrow. At least we got done what we needed to today. What's next?" I asked, looking down at Mabel. 

"Go lay in bed for the rest of the day and cuddle and watch movies?" she asked, smiling up at me. 

"Sounds perfect. Let's head home." 

                                                                   ----------------------------------------

After we watched the Back To The Future trilogy for what seems to be the billionth time, Mabel declared she was going to take a shower. A few moments after she left, I decided to get up and make a snack. I poured myself a small bowl of chips and walked over to the window in the living, staring out over the town and taking everything in. I was pulled in by the the newness of everything; still taking in the new life Mabel and I were beginning. My train of thought was interrupted by my cell phone faintly ringing from the bedroom. I set my chips down on the island and strolled towards the bedroom. My cell phone had stopped ringing, but I couldn't find it. I started shaking out the mass amount of blankets on the bed it finally it fell out. My notifications were going crazy. 

4 missed calls from Soos. 

I immediately could sense something was not right. I quickly called him back and he answered on the first ring.

"Soos...Soos what's going on?" I asked, as he answered. I heard him sniffle from the other line of the phone.

"Dipper...I think you and Mabel need to come back to Gravity Falls as soon as you can..."

"Soos.." I asked, my voice tighening. 

"Something terrible has happened..." 

"Soos?"

"Dipper..."

"Soos, just tell me! Please" I begged, my voice cracking.

"I'm...I'm so sorry Dipper, but...but your Grunkle Ford had a heart attack...I don't know...we don't know if he's going to make it," Soos said, sniffling.

"Oh my god. Soos, we are on our way," I said, panicking.

"We're at New Union Hospital, right outside of Gravity Falls. And Dipper?"

"Yeah?" I asked, my body trembling. 

"Please hurry," he said, clicking the phone off. I shoved my phone into the pocket of my pajama pants, and hurried over the bathroom door, pounding on it. 

"Mabel! Mabel!" I cried, but there was no response. I slammed open the door and reached my hand in the shower, shutting of the water.

"Dipper! What the heck!" Mabel yelled, wrapping the shower curtain around her.

"Get dressed. We need to go! NOW!" I said. Her eyes got big as she began drying herself off and hurrying towards the closet to throw on clothes.

"Dipper...Dipper what's going on?" Mabel whined. 

"Something bad's happened Mabel...we gotta head back to Gravity Falls and get to the hospital. I'll explain on the way," I said, pacing back and forth nervously, waiting for her to get dressed. She threw on an old oversized shirt and sweatpants and threw her hair up. She put her head in her hands and graoned.

"Do you have the keys?"

"They are on the island. Mabel let's go!" I hollered. She ran past me, grabbed the keys from the counter and hurried out of the room, I met up with her at the elevator just as it was about to close.

"Dipper," Mabel said, looking at me intensely. 

"Grunkle Ford had a heart attack," I mumbled, feeling tears prick at my eyes.

"Dip-"

"They...they don't know if he's going to make it..." I said, falling to my knees, and letting out a large howl. Everything inside of me broke. Mabel helped me up as the elevator door opened up to the main lobby and she hurried me outside, putting me in the passenger seat.

"Deep breaths, Dipper. I'll get us there soon," Mabel whispered, swinging the car out of the parking lot and speeding down the county road, back to Gravity Falls.