Chapter 9

"Dipper, is that you?" Great Uncle Ford called out as I approached his work area. 

"Yeah, Grunkle Ford. It's me." 

"Boy am I glad to see you! I think I'm close to being able to confirm the existence of a different species of elves. I was hoping you would come with me right now. I was going to go into the forest and observe for a bit," Grunkle Ford explained. 

"Sure, but...can I talk to you first? It's kind of important..." 

"Sure thing, kiddo. What's up?" Great Uncle Ford asked, taking a seat in his office chair. 

"Well, this weekend, Mabel and I drove up to Lantern River and we signed a lease on apartment," I said, worried to what his response would be. He opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off. "I know I promised to stay here with you years ago to be your apprentice, but even with me moving away, nothing will change. I'm only two hours north, and I'll come down and work with you as often as you need me too. I'm so so-" I started, but now Grunkle Ford cut me off. He stood up and placed his hand on my shoulder. 

"No need for apologizes, Dipper. I appreciate your offer of coming down to work with me often, and I think that's what is going to work best," Grunkle Ford said, winking. 

"So...you're not...mad?" 

"Mad? Dipper, you're nineteen. I don't except you stay around Gravity Falls forever!" he said laughing. "Trust me kiddo...no hard feelings," he said, pulling me in for a hug, something that usually never happens.  

"Now how about you come join me and we investigate those elves, eh?" 

"Sounds great, Grunkle Ford," I replied, thinking about how much I was going to miss doing this every single day.