Chapter 24

Author's Note: Hello readers! I apologize for the LOONNGG wait on an update; this is a first for me! I haven't updated since last year! (I had to, okay?) Anyways, I hope I never push off an update that long again. This chapter was kinda a hurdle, and I am expecting this next few to be a challenge as well. But once I'm in the hunch, it's like that "in the clear" feeling and things can go more smoothly. Thank you for everyone's patience with the update! Love you all! xoxo (P.S: I've been getting SUPER into Kim Possible again! Anyone here a fan?) 

Monday had rolled around a lot faster than I had anticipated. I dreaded this day for all the wrong reasons, and it made me sick inside. I was more concerned with Dipper leaving me alone than I was with my dead Grunkle who was about to be put down to rest six feet underground.  

We had planned for memorial to be at noon sharp. It was a small crowd; Dipper, Soos, Grunkle Stan, and myself. Nothing special was planned; we knew Grunkle Ford may have not been happy with the way we went about all of this, but we had to make do considering the circumstances. Dipper told Soos about the mission last night, and he told Grunkle Stan the day we returned to Gravity Falls after we packed up everything we needed. They both altered the plans for the memorial in order for Dipper to get out and about as soon as possible. 

Before we knew it, it was noon, and all four of us were gathered on the lawn of the Gravity Falls cemetery. Grunkle Ford stood at the head of the coffin that was raised above the ground and took of his head. A tear slipped out of his eye and I could here him mutter.

"See you on the other side, Ford," Grunkle Stan muttered as Soos began to lower the body into the ground. Grunkle Stan turned away from the sight and threw his fez on the ground, shoving his face into his hands and sobbing. I turned towards Dipper and I saw him tearing up. I felt tears prick at my eyes, but I reached behind Dipper's back, searching for his hands and I gave it a quick squeeze. I was going to miss this. So much. 

"He was my best friend," Dipper whispered. I nodded and felt more tears stream out of my eyes. I wanted nothing more than to comfort Dipper. To hold him, kiss him, and just let him know things happen for a reason; it was going to be okay. But I couldn't. We were under the watchful eyes of Gravity Falls, as well as our grieving Grunkle and family friend. Dipper left my side and walked around the site and joined Grunkle Stan. He put his arm on his shoulder and Grunkle Stan grabbed Dipper and pulled him close, hugging him tightly. My heart broke as I watched them both sob onto one another. Soos began piling dirt onto the coffin and there I stood, feeling useless. Is this how it was going to be now? Is this who I have really become? A useless a person? A person who can't do anything without Dipper? I tried to dismiss my mind of the thought, but I couldn't. The thought stuck with me. Before I knew it, the memorial was done, and I didn't even give any solid condolences to Grunkle Ford. I felt so ashamed, and I felt my face become red. I looked up and saw Dipper giving hugs and to Soos and Grunkle Stan...hugs goodbye. I felt my heart drop. I locked eye contact with Dipper and he gestured me to go by the car. I hesitated for a moment, before heading towards the car. Moments later, Dipper caught up to me and gestured for me to get in. I raised an eyebrow, but got in as he started the car and began heading north. My heart did a flip. Did Dipper change his mind? Am I going with him on his adventures after all? 

"Dipper?" I asked, and he drove through the main drag through town. He raised an eyebrow and looked at me. "Where on we going?" 

"Jupiter Springs. I need my Mystery Girl on at least one of my missions," Dipper said, his a grin. I felt my body relax and I smiled. "That, and I believe one last proper date is in check before I leave. We will go back to the shack tonight, and I'll be gone before you even wake up," Dipper explained. I reached for his hand and looked up at him and he drove.

"What about the original plan? What about what Grunkle Ford would want?" 

"I can't do much about that now. All I know is this: for however long I'll be gone for, it will be a hell of a lot easier knowing you got to help me with part one out of four," Dipper said, his eyes not breaking the road. We passed the Gravity Falls sign and without a beat, I leaned over and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"You know I love you right?" I said. He looked over at me and nodded, a small tear sliding down his cheek. I felt myself get warm and becoming upset, and I looked out the window for the rest of the car ride, never letting go of Dipper's hand.