Chapter 28

Author's Note: I cannot thank you guys enough for being patient with me. I recently posted I was going through a hard time and granted I still am, I was starting to miss writing. I'm going work hard to finish this fanfiction with my best effort so I can move on to my next one, which I am SUPER excited about! I hope you guys enjoy Chapter 28. I'll be updating again super soon! xoxo

My tired body fumbled to get the keys out of my back pocket and into the lock. I yawned as I pushed open the door. I dropped my luggage in the kitchen and headed into the bedroom. I crawled into bed with tired eyes and wrapped the blankets tightly around me. The clock blinked 5:09 and I could see from the window the sun was starting to set. I felt ready for bed, but I shouldn't have. After Dipper left, I went inside and lied in bed for a few hours, doing nothing but feeling empty. I felt empty, and then I felt mad at myself. I knew I shouldn't be feeling this way. I thought back to how I felt the other day at the funeral, and I finally realized the sad truth: I was nothing without Dipper. It's not a bad thing when he is here; it's far from bad, but when he's gone? Not so much. I cried for a while at the realization, but I was able to clean myself up when Soos knocked on the door and told me he was going to bring me home. The car ride home was fine. Soos and I talked, and my mind got distracted. But the minute he dropped me off at the front door of the apartment complex and I watched him drove off, the lingering feeling returned. I just had to repeat the cycle....

I pushed myself out of bed and went into the kitchen to brew myself a pot of coffee. While it brewed, I brought my luggage into my room. Upon returning back, I saw an envelope on the floor. My name is written neatly and small across the front of the enevelope. I raised an eyebrow as I tore into the enevolpe. 

Mabel, 

If you're reading this, that means you are home (that or you have super magical telepathy powers and can teleport items to yourself, I don't know man), but if you're home, that totally means you need to come see me! I want to know how you're doing and I want to discuss things about work with you! 

                                        - Natalie 

I smiled and set the note on the counter and reached up into the cupboard to grab a travel mug. I poured myself coffee and grabbed my keys and stepped out of the apartment. I knocked on Natalie's door and she answer almost right away. 

"Mabel! You're home! Please, come in, come in!" Natalie said, her voice full of delight. I walked inside and I felt my mouth drop in delight. Her apartment was just as badass as she was. Signed and framed albums covered the wall, her living room curtains were made of old concert memorobilia, and so on and so on. It was a music lovers dream. She sat down on the maroon couch and patted the seat next to her. 

"I'm just going out on a limb here...but do you like music?" I asked jokingly. She laughed and shook her head. 

"Nah, not really," she said winking. "How did everything go?"

"Well, it went. It was just super small and informal. We had to do it so Dipper could leave as soon as possible, but things didn't go as planned..." I said, and then I froze up, realizing what I said. I potentially opened a portal of madness; explaining the gems, explaining portals, explaining Weirdmageddon...explaining Gravity Falls. My brain rattled and I saw Natalie cock her had to the side and ask what I meant. I bit my lip. I lied enough about being with Dipper, especially to Natalie. And I liked Natalie. I had no other girlfriend. I made a risky decision, and that was to tell her everything.

"Have...have you ever heard of a small town of Gravity Falls?" I asked, wrapping my hands tightly around my coffee mug. 

"I...I don't recall so," she said. I looked down and shook my head. 

"Then I got to get you caught up," I said, laughing nervousily. And I did. I started with the gems, and told her why it was important they get contained. I told her about Weirdmaggedon, and how in our town, we have the "Never Mind All That" Act, so it usually isn't something discussed. All that led to Gravity Falls, and the strangest of the town. I told her about the monsters; both human and nonhuman. Her eyes grew wider and wider in horror the farther the conversation went along. 

"That doesn't even sound...none of that sounds real. Is this some kind of sick joke?" Natalie asked, standing up. I looked up at her, shaking my head. 

"Natalie! Why would I lie about any of that? I just don't sit around and think "Oh hey! It would be SUPER funny to tell people that a floating triangle in the sky almost killed me and everyone else in town!" I said, raising my voice. Natalie furrowed her brows and crossed her arms, shaking my head.

"Fine, you know what? Grab a coat and grab your car keys. Let's go," I said.

"Go....go where?" Natalie asked.

"We're going to Gravity Falls. I'm going to prove to you I'm NOT crazy."