Chapter 18

I woke up the next morning, Dipper naked beside me. I smile tiredly as I leaned over as gave him a kiss, wrapping the comforter around myself.

"Mhmmm," he said, pulling me in close towards him. I leaned my forehead against his and nuzzled against him. 

"I think...we gotta get up," I yawned, turning my head to look over at the alarm clock. The numbers blinked 9:37. 

"I don't wanna. Everything hurts," Dipper whined. I rolled my eyes.

"I thought you wanted to go look for jobs today," I said. 

"Ugh, that's right." 

"Here, start getting yourself put together and I'll go fry up some eggs for breakfast," I compromised.

"You're the best," he muttered as I stood up out of bed, heading out towards the door.

"Wait, Mabel," he called. I poked my head back into the doorway. "You're not going to get dressed first?  Are you going to cook for me naked?" Dipper teased with a goofy look on his face. I looked down and blushed, totally forgetting to put on clothes. 

"Maybe you need to come back to bed, Mabel. You seem out of it," Dipper said, tempting me back into the warmth of his arms. 

"You would love that, wouldn't you?" I said, heading towards the closet to grab my robe. 

"Hey." 

"What?" I asked, tying the rope around my waist. 

"I love you," Dipper said, smiling up at me. 

"I love you more, you big doof." 

                                                                 ----------------------------------------------------------

Three hours later. In the course of that time we got up, fussed around and cleaned ourselves up, ate breakfast, and embarked into town in search of jobs. Within that three hours, I had already found a job at was hired on the spot. 

In some ways, Lantern River reminded me of Gravity Falls. It was such a small town, yet it had a variety of shops on the main drag. Such a variety, that you almost wondered if the citizens utilized them. It was on the main drag of town I saw a fluorescent neon sign flashing "records". Adjacent to the neon sign was a large black and white sign reading "River Records". I dragged Dipper in, intrigued by the appearance of the exterior of the store. The inside didn't seem to fail either. String lights dangling from the ceiling, and more were draped modestly across the walls. And old Juke Box sat in the corner of the cozy store, blasting a familiar tune from the 80's. Band posters were scattered across the walls and in the middle of the the store set the large, divide bin. There were so many records, they were practically piling out of the bin.

"Mabel, hi!" a voice exclaimed, dragging me back in. I looked over by the front counter and saw Natalie frantically waving at me. Her killer hair was twisted up into alien buns today and she was wearing some old school pointed glasses. As she stepped out from behind the counter, I saw she was dressed in a short houndstooth skirt and an old "The Offspring" shirt. Her gold spiked heels clicked as she headed on over to me. 

"What a surprise!" Natalie said eagerly. I nodded. 

"You work here?" I asked, still in awe of unique charisma of the store. She nodded eagerly.

"My dad owns this place. He has since a was just a little girl, and he's been collecting since he was in high school. Since I got laid off from my other job, my dad offered me a job here!" she explained eagerly. "So what brings you into her today, Mabel?" 

"Actually I was wondering if...if you guys were hiring at all? I've been basically filling out applications at any place I could," I said sheepishly. Natalie opened her mouth to say something but before she could respond, the door behind the back counter swung open, and a man in jeans and a "Rolling Stones" shirt walked out.

"Nat, is this someone you know?" her dad asked, looking at me kindly.

"Oh, yeah! Dad, this is Mabel. She's the girl I was telling you about that just moved in. She's been looking around for a job," Natalie explained.

"Hi Mabel, I'm Mr. Sawyer. You want a job here?" 

"I'd love to have a job here. This place is incredible!" I said eagerly.

"Well, that settles it. Anyone who is a friend to Nat is a friend to me. Starting pay is $7.50. Come in tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock and we can get your training out of the way," he said, sticking out his hand to shake mine. I gave his hand a firm shake and then wandered over to where Dipper was by the records.

"Dipper! I got a job!" I said, throwing his arms around him.

"Really! Mabel, congrats!" 

"Now we just gotta worry about you!" 

"Hey, don't worry about it. I think I already got an in somewhere," Dipper said casually as we strolled out of the store down the street, hand in hand.

"Really, where at?" 

"At the little food mart right down the road from the apartments. This guy offered me an application when he learned I was new to town," Dipper explained.

"Well, we are we waiting for! Let's go get you that application!" I said, pulling on Dipper's arm. He caught up to my speed and wrapped his free arm around me, giving me a kiss on the forehead. 

It felt so great to not hide our love anymore.