Chapter 8

After a long two hours of waiting to get in an office to fill out our paper work and actually filling out the paper work, Dipper and I were now the proud owners of our first apartment! After we got it all settled, we headed back to the hotel to pack up and check out, eager to head home to tell our Grunkles the great news. I rested on Dipper's shoulder, but bolted up the minute I saw the "Welcome to Gravity Falls" sign. Dipper gave me hand a squeeze as we approached the main drag in town.

"Do you think Grunkle Ford and Grunkle Stan will be mad?" I asked quietly, looking up at Dipper. He shook his head almost immediately.

"What do they have to be mad about, Mabel? We are nineteen years old now. They're probably wondering why we didn't leave sooner," Dipper laughed. I shrugged my shoulders speehishly.

"I don't know, Dipper. Grunkle Stan likes having us around to help with the shack, especially now that he is getting older, and Grunkle Ford really depends on you to help him with his mystery stuff. Maybe we made the wrong choice," I said, beginning to panick. Dipper pulled up next to the shack, before grabbing both of my shoulders and facing me towards him.

"Mabel, we DID make the right choice and you know it. If Grunkle Stan and Great Uncle Ford have a problem with what we are doing, then we work something out..like promise to visit every weekend," Dipper assured me. He reached for the door to get out, but I stopped him.

"What are we suppose to tell them?"

"What do you mean....?"

"Well, don't you think they might find it a tiny bit odd that their nineteen year niece and nephew are leaving the nest only to be living with each other somewhere else?" I explained. Dipper looked taken aback, and retrieved his hand from the door handle.

"Crap." Dipper said, gripping his hands tightly on the wheel. I rubbed his thigh and tried to calm him.

"Dipper, we just have to make up a lie. It's nothing we are not used to. What if we told them this: we both have separate apartments in town, and if for some reason they come to visit, we tell them one of us lost our apartment because we didn't make our rent payment, so we are crashing at the other's place!"

"I....I suppose?" Dipper muttered.

"Got anything better?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him. He groaned in response. "That's what I thought. And remember; we only pull that card if it needs to be pulled, now come on!" I said, jumping out. I gathered my things out of the car while Dipper gathered his. We dragged our suitcase inside and I was immediately greeted by Waddles.

"Waddles! Hey boy! I've missed you!" I cooed, picking him up and snuggling him. Dipper looked at me, his face painted with disapointment. "What's wrong now, bro bro?"

"We never asked if we could have pets...especially pigs," Dipper whispered. I looked down at Waddles and back at Dipper.

"If they won't let us have him, then we keep him here. More of a reason to visit a lot. Besides, Grunkles take good care of him," I explained before I heard Grunkle Stan yell from the living room.

"Kids? You home?" Grunkle Stan called out.

"Yeah; we will be right there," Dipper called out.

"You ready?" I asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be," he said, kissing my forehead quickly. We walked into the room and found Grunkle Stan in his usual spot. We sat down on the couch.

"How was your weekend kiddos?"

"Pretty good. Listen Grunkle Stan, we gotta tell you something," I started off right away. Grunkle Stan grunted and flicked off the TV. "This past weekend, Dipper and I headed north to Lantern River and we leased an apartment for the next year," I explained. Grunkle Stan scratched his chin and grunted again.

"You two got an apartment together?"

"Actually-" I began, but Dipper cut me off.

"Yeah. We just figured it was time to leave the nest, you know? And Mabel and I are only working part time right now. We have money, but not a lot where we could do it on our own each month, you know?" Dipper explained. I was impressed; his lie was so much better than mine. He never failed to disapoint.

"Alright. How far is Lightbulb Stream place from here anyways?"

"Lantern River, Grunkle Stan. It's two hours north," I told him.

"Well, you better come down and visit your old man often. It's going to be weird not seeing you rascals everyday," Grunkle Stan said, a hint of sadness in your voice. "And Dipper, you better go talk to Ford. He's going to want to know soon. And I'm sure he will want you to visit a lot as well. He know how much he appreciates your help," Grunkle Stan explained, looking at Dipper.

"Of course, Grunkle Stan. I'll go do that now. Mabel, will you take our things up to our room then?" I nodded as Dipper headed towards the vending machine. I stood up to take our things upstairs but Grunkle Ford signaled for me to stay seated.

"Can't believe you goons are moving out. How soon?"

"One month," I replied.

"Well, that means you got one month to get yourselves some furniture and stuff, I suppose," Grunkle Stan said, standing up and hobbling into the other room. He returned a moment later, an enevelope in his hand. He handed it to me.

"You're going to need to more than I ever will, sweetheart. I'm getting old. I won't be around for-" Grunkle Stan started, but I shushed him.

"Don't talk like that Grunkle Stan..."

"Just open the envelope, sweetie," Grunkle Stan said, smiling. I gave him a look before carefully tearing open the thick envelope. I gasped, pulling out its contents. I had to be holding over one thousand dollars in my hands.

"Grunkle Stan! We can't take this!" I exclaimed. He waved his hands, not hearing of it.

"Just do it, kiddo. Don't make your good ole Grunkle upset, okay? Just come give me a hug," Grunkle Stan said. I got up and ran over to Grunkle Stan, giving him the biggest hug I possibly have ever given.

"I'm going to miss you kids."

"We're going to miss you too, Grunkle Stan."