Chapter 25

Author's Note: Sorry for making you guys wait so long again! This has definitely been one of the longer chapters I have written between my two books, so I hope that makes up for it! :) xoxo 

It was totally a last minute idea; the original plan did not involve Mabel at all. But as the countdown got closer and closer until I had to leave, I realized I needed one more night. I needed one more night of her in my arms, one more night at the diner, and one more hooray with my Mystery Twin. God only knew how long I was going to be gone.  We drove in silence for a while, but the minute we passed the Jupiter Springs sign, I tapped on the dashboard to get Mabel's attention, not letting my eyes leave the road. 

"Hey, check to see if there is a map in the glovebox. We gotta find Lilac Caves." She nodded and began rummaging through the glovebox. I peered over at her every few seconds as she studied the map she found. She shook her head. 

"Why can't I find it?" She groaned in frustration. I looked over at her and peered down at the map. 

"Let me pull over and I'll take a look," I muttered, pulling up to one of the only gas stations in town, The Gas Break. The minute I turned off the car, Mabel handed me the map. "Look for yourself! It is really not on here!" 

"But it's gotta be! It's a landmark, or so it is assumed..." I said, scanning through the map. I pin-pointed our location and looked all over the map of Jupiter Springs. Mabel was right; there was nothing. 

"Maybe it's outdated...who knows?" Mabel tried, but I shook my head. 

"Regardless of how old the map is, you would think it would be marked. Maybe someone inside can help us though," I said, gesturing towards the gas station. Mabel and I unbuckled ourselves and headed up towards the gas station. I opened the door for her and she walked in, strutting up towards the counter.

"Excuse me, sir?" Mabel asked, batting her eyes. I rolled my eyes nodded my head. The man, who appeared extremely large, as well as extremely bald, peered over the newspaper he was reading, only revealing his dull brown eyes. "I was wondering if you could give us directions on how to get to Lilac Caves?" Mabel asked sweetly. She put on the charm she does whenever she wants something; a sure fire way to ensure a "yes." But at the mention of the name, the guy set down his newspaper and leaned forward, close to Mabel and me.

"What did you just say?" He whispered, narrowing his eyes at us.

"Li-lilac caves?" Mabel stuttered. 

"Nobody knows about Lilac Caves though...nobody," the man said, in disbelief.

"Well, we do. Our Great Uncle told us about it," I stepped in, locking eyes with his. He mouth gaped open and he bit his lip.

"Who would that be?" he asked.

"Standford PInes?" I asked, confused as to what was going on. 

"Dipper Pines," he said, pointing a finger at me. I scrunched up my face in confusion and nodded. He hurried over the swingy door and met us on the other side of the counter.