Chapter11

"Thanks for your help today, sport. I really appreciate. Glad we got down to one more thing we can get down in the journal," said Grunkle Ford encouragingly. I smiled at him and felt my cell phone buzz.  It was a text from Mabel. 

Mabel <3 : I think I just found us some furniture 4 dirt cheap. Stop by the store and u can tell me what u think. 

I replied that I would be there soon and slid my phone back into my pocket. 

"Listen Great Uncle Ford, I gotta run. I'll catch up with you later and we can work on the addition together?" I offered. He smiled and shook his head. I walked ahead of Grunkle Ford and walked into the kitchen to grab the keys, making my way downtown to Falls Thrift. 

                                                                     ---------------------------------------

The bells over my head clinged loudly as I made my way into the store. 

"Hey bro bro!" Mabel called excitedly, waving me over towards her. 

"What's all this talk about furniture? Mabel, we barely have any money right now." 

"About that..." Mabel said sheepishly. I raised an eyebrow at her, but she just cocked her finger for me to follow her into the back. She pulled on the cord and the dim lights of the back room turned on, revealing a leather couch and two recliners. 

"It's a pretty nice set, if you ask me. I just wasn't sure if you cared it was used..." Mabel explained. I ran my hand over the cushions and shook my head. 

"How much does he want." 

"One hundred dollars. After the big treat Grunkle Stan gave us, this payment will barely even make a dent." Mabel said. 

"What did Grunkle Stan do?" 

"Gave us at least one thousand dollars to help us with the house," Mabel muttered. 

"You tried to give it back, right?" 

"Of course! But he wouldn't take it!" 

"Alright then, I guess. Let's take the couch then," I said, relaxing a bit. 

"Here; take this," Mabel said, pulling a wad of cash out of her pocket and thrusting it at me. "I think it's going to be in our best interest that we make the most of this cash, and buy things that are used, if we can. Is that okay?" Mabel asked timidly. 

"Why wouldn't it be? Mabel, you know I've never had a problem with reusing things before." 

"I know, but....this is different. I just wasn't sure if anything would change because it's our first..." Mabel said but started trailing off. I pulled her in close immediately and gave her a big squeeze. 

"Mabel, you know me. I'm not materialistic. We could have a poker table as our dining room table. We could have a pink sofa and a green chair for the living room. I could care less if it is used or brand new. None of that matters to me. I'm just glad we are able to have this opportunity, " I said, running my hands through her hair. 

"You mean it?" 

"I wouldn't say it if I didn't," I replied, giving her a smile small. She looked around, making sure no one was around and gave me quick kiss on the lips. 

"Now, go get shopping," she said, shoving the money into my pocket and pushing me out the door.