Chapter 29

We were in the middle of Montana when night started to fall. My eyes were starting to get heavy. So far, everything was going smoothly. No trouble with the car (I guess Grunkles called her Ole Faithful for a reason), the roads were clear, weather was good, and Benji was an awesome road trip companion. He talked enough to keep you awake, but not enough to make you want to slice your ears off.  He told me about his infamous Darlene, and how although they drove each other bonkers, he loved her more than anything in this world. He told me about his kids, about the same age as Mabel and I, one doing Broadway musicals in New York while another worked at a hospital in a sleepy town in Washington. I couldn't help but feel envious; they were both doing remarkable things, and what I was I doing besides finishing up one last mission? Nothing. I was doing nothing with my life. After this was over, I was going to go back to Lantern River, work a few jobs, and live with Mabel. I remember 12 year old me; and how bad I wanted to strive and be an adventurer, a ghost hunter, an anything that involved working with the unknown. I wanted to a Grunkle Stanford. But after Weirdmageddon, everything seemed to fad. There wasn't as much unusual activity anymore, and the bit that was left, Grunkles took care of it. I felt no more hope to be the person I aspired to be. Everything seemed to fade away before I could get it to stay...

"Dipper!" Benji hollered. I snapped open my eyes and felt my heart pound angrily against my chest. A car blared it's horn at me and I swerved back into my lane. I gripped the wheel so tightly I could see my knuckles turning white. I bit my lip and shook my head.

"Shit," I mumbled under my breath. 

"You've had enough driving for today kid. I don't want to almost die again. Pull over," Benji said, veering his thumb to the left. I pulled over and switched spots with Benji and he took over. 

"I'm so sorry, Benji," I muttered, rubbing the back of my neck. 

"We didn't die. We almost did, but we didn't. Don't worry about it. Get some shut eye. I'll drive for as long as I can and then I'll pull over at a lot somewhere for the night, okay?" Benji asked. I yawned and nodded my head sleepily and reclined the seat back, falling asleep almost instantly.