Surprises

~Steve's POV~

It's been about a week since I've been on my own since Serena had to go back to work, and I've learned mostly everything about the modern world. Although I am still working on knowing how to actually do certain things. Like how to work Facebook, and Twitter, and those social sites. I've also been working out everyday since I have woken up and rebuilt my muscles, and it seems like I gained some more as well. As the time went on, my feelings for Serena seem to have grown while my feelings for Peggy diminish. 

"Hey Serena," I spoke up, drawing her attention away from the TV, "I'm going to go to the gym to let off a little steam." "Mhmmtay," she replied cutely, rubbing her eyes a bit, "I think I might go to bed, I'm so tired from work." "Really? What'd you even do?" I asked, getting up and getting her a glass of water because her voice sounded a little hoarse. "Thank you," she smiled when I handed her the glass of water, "How'd you know I needed some water? Unless you read my mind some how and knew that I was going to get a glass before I went to bed." She giggled and drank the water. "Your voice sounded scratchy so I figured that your throat was dried." I said, running my hand through my hair. "Well you figured right," she giggled as her cheeks gained a rosy tint to them. "Wanna talk about your day? Pretty sure it's more interesting than mine." I sat back down next to her on the couch. "I don't want to bore you." She said, finishing the rest of the water. "I don't think it's possible for you to bore me." I chuckled, leaning back. "You sure?" I asked, looking at me cutely. "Yes, I am fairly sure." I assured her with a smile. 

"Mhmm well the morning was slow so all I did was documenting, but then after lunch," she paused for a bit and chuckled while shaking her head, "It was crazy after lunch. A group of 20 returned from a mission and all were injured, and there was only five doctors -including me- working. But two were surgeons so that left three of us along with a handful of nurses to bounce between all the patients. We were all over a place, just darting back and forth, all you could see were blurs of white and blue." Serena yawned and looked at me cutely again. "Sounds like it was chaotic over there." I chuckled, earning a soft giggle from her. "Hopefully it won't be to crazy tomorrow." She giggled, yawning once more. "Go to bed Serena. You're yawning a lot and I don't want to catch it." Serena nodded and waved her hand dismissively as she stood up. "Good night Steve, take care when you're out." She said, giving me a quick hug, in which I awkwardly returned, before taking off to her room.

As I was punching the punching bag, I started to think back about the day I crashed the plane. I could feel myself getting more riled up as the memory flooded my mind. The more riled up I got, the harder I punched the punching bag. It wasn't long until it broke open and flew off the chain. "Trouble sleeping?" I look over and see Fury. "I slept for seventy years, sir. I think I've had my fill." I replied to him, picking up another punching bag and mounting it and punching it again. "Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." He said as he approached me. I let out a heavy breath and go over to the bench and unwrap my knuckled before sitting down, "I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost." "We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently." Nick was now standing next to me, with a folder in his hands. "You here with a mission, sir?" I asked, looking up at him. "I am." He bluntly replied. "Trying to get me back in the world?" I slightly mused. "Trying to save it." Fury responded, handing me the folder.

I opened the folder and look over its contents. Seeing all the things about the blue cube that they called the tesseract. "Hydra's secret weapon," the thought slipped my mouth. "Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought, what we think, the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs." Nick said. "Who took it from you?" I asked, standing up. "He's called Loki. He's not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know." Fury told me. "At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me." I said, picking up my gym bag and walking over to the punching bags.