Chapter 4 - Bonds Passed Along

A/N: Next chapter Friday

Harry strolled down the corridors, hurrying along to the defence against the dark arts room, hoping to speak to Professor Lupin about the Dementors.

Bumping into a group of Hufflepuffs and calling quick apologies over his shoulder, he quickened his pace. To anyone passing by or had just turned their head at that very moment, he was only a flurry of red and gold robes, flying down the corridor as if the ends of said robes were lit on fire.

Finally, he spotted the door he was looking for at the end of the corridor.

He ran at it, picking up too much speed, his feet left the floor a couple centimetres and he threw himself through the door. As it crashed open, he felt the heavy impact of something or someone falling against it, followed by pained groaning.

He shut the door, observing the space around him until his eyes landed on a figure hunched over and muttering inhuman words rapidly.

The figure lifted their head and his gaze was met with the striking amber eyes of Professor Carrow.

Harry stepped backwards, nearly tripping over a chair leg. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you there! I only-"

"No harm done, Harry, what's the rush?" Lyra shrugged and the fire in her eyes distinguished immediately. "I can't believe I'm still doing that." She added under her breath.

"Looking for Professor Lupin, have you seen him? It's important."

"Er, he's.." She trailed off, glancing at smudged words written on the palm of her left hand. It appeared to be some sort of drawing of a calendar. "I don't know." She shoved her hand into her pocket. "Anything I can help with?"

Harry shook his head. He turned to leave before stopping in the doorway. "Professor Carrow?"

"Hm?"

"How did you know my mother? She was a part of your boggart."

Lyra stopped. She stood very still for a few moments before turning to face him. Her face was conflicted and she seemed to be pondering her words. "She was my friend." She trailed off, choosing her words carefully. "She was my best friend. I knew your father too. We, er, we didn't get on too well."

She decided to shut up then but saw the look on Harry's face. She knew the pain of being unwanted. "I was an orphan too, you know. I understand how you feel."

Lyric Davi groaned, pulling her pillow out from underneath her head and attempted to squish it into her eyes. Anything to block out the sunlight making its way through her window. But the pesky sun rays still shed their way into her face.

She faintly heard the shuffling of feet moving in the sitting room downstairs and knew that her father would be up there soon, forcing her to get out of bed.

She pushed herself up into a sitting position, letting her vision adjust to the bright light.

Laughing softly, she swung her legs over the side of her mattress and looked around her at the familiar orange paint of her walls, the rhythmical ticking of her clock and the soft black rug beneath her toes.

She pulled the doorknob and her door clicked as it smoothly opened. Awaiting the freshly lit house and the smell of pancakes cooking in the kitchen, she had to stop and freeze at what met her there instead.

It was cold, too cold for the time of year which was early summer. The lights were out and the only smell was that of their dinner from the night before. She backed up, checking the time to be sure but it was still the exact same. 11:00. She should've found it strange to begin with when her father let her sleep in so long after waking her up at 9:00 o'clock sharp every day for several years.