Chapter 17 - Bonds

Lyra followed Sirius' retreating footsteps as they echoed down the staircase.

She could just barely see the light at the end of the hallway as they strode down into the dining room.

Sirius made it through the doorway before Lyra did, and she nearly jumped in surprise as he gave a big yell of delight as he rounded the corner.

Moving around the door frame in a few more quickened strides, her glowing amber eyes took in the sight of her late best friend's son.

Harry was hugging Sirius, his black hair had grown longer since she'd last seen him and it stuck up in several places much like James' had. His bright green eyes flicked up to land on Lyra's face and an expression of pure astonishment took hold of his features.

Harry stepped toward her and appeared to mumble his words. "Professor-"

"Lyra." She corrected.

He ignored this. "You're out of Azkaban? How?"

Lyra nodded in the general direction of the rest of the Order. She raised her eyebrows at Harry, "No greeting for poor Lyra? Bloody hell-"

"Lyra!" Remus' voice drifted into the room from behind her.

"He's fifteen! I'm not cursing at him anyway."

Remus made a sound of disapproval as Harry left the room to go say hello to him.

Lyra turned to follow, but Sirius caught at her wrist. She turned, but Sirius wasn't looking at her.

"What's that- no, around your neck."

Lyra grimaced as she lifted the golden harp with the initials 'L.D.' away from her throat and let it dangle from its chain. "This, just a Christmas present."

"I sent that, blimey, I thought you would've-" she cut him off.

"I knew. I'm not that daft, you know. Slytherin git, not daft Slytherin git, huh?"

Sirius stared at her, baffled. "I thought you would've gotten rid of it, you thought I was guilty. Why'd you wear it?"

Lyra shrugged. "It was a nice necklace." Sirius raised an eyebrow, Lyra laughed. "Didn't think it would've been too polite to throw away a gift."

Sirius nodded in agreement but didn't appear satisfied with the answer. "You wouldn't believe how I got it- I couldn't even go into a muggle jewelry store, something about me being a mass murderer with a gun- blimey, what is a gun?"

Lyra laughed - really laughed, for the first time in ages. "My name is a constellation, the harp constellation, but I suppose you knew that."

Sirius nodded. "I thought it would've been fitting to get you something like that, since our names are both stars. Davi means beloved or cherished, but that just sounds like something you'd find on a tombstone."

"Knowing you, you'll probably see to it that my tombstone has the greatest amount of puns in history."

He frowned, puzzled. "What's a pun?" Lyra just shook her head.

Sirius shrugged. "I solemnly swear that I will write that on your tombstone, I mean, it's obvious I'm going to outlive you. Your death wish is quite something."

Lyra ran after the blonde girl, chasing her into the forbidden forest. Finally, she reached her and her sister whipped her head around in rage.

"And what do you think you're doing here? Get out before you break a leg or two, you bloody klutz!" Gemini's voice echoed in her memories.

"Might I ask why you're out here of all places then, Gem?"

Gemini glared, cold blue eyes narrowed. "I'll tell Dumbledore you're out here."

"An empty threat." Lyra grinned.

"I- what?" Gemini, words not usually failing her, snarled.

"You'd have to explain to the headmaster why you were out here. Bloody hell, Gem, have you learned nothing this past year?"

Gemini Davi scowled and Lyra knew that her elder sister would've preferred to be physically torn apart than expelled. "You've taken from me, I don't like it."

Lyra smiled at her victory. "So I'll ask again, why're you out here?"

Gemini frowned again begrudgingly. "Quiet. I meet friends here."

"You have friends, Gem?" Lyra covered her mouth with her hand in mock surprise.

A twig snapped behind the two girls before Gemini could respond and Lyra spun around to see a coyote of all creatures standing still behind them. It appeared to have very human eyes, great blue-green eyes. A girl that Lyra had originally failed to notice stood nearby. Melody Cooper, she assumed from the greener eyes and loosely braided hair.

Gemini made a face, not seeming at all happy to see her. "Mel.. great to see you, but it isn't the best time. Where's Noelle anyway?"

"Er, she has detention with Professor Flitwick." Melody stuttered. The coyote made a low growling noise which had gone unnoticed by the golden brown haired girl but not Lyra.

Walking off, Lyra pretended not to have noticed. She stepped toward an old oak tree with initials scratched into the bark.

G.D.

Smirking amusedly, she carefully added her own below them.

Turning to the two girls, she waved. "Goodbye then." The girls exchanged looks before Lyra, being sure that Melody wasn't glancing her way, saluted Gemini before turning and sprinting away, leaving the scenery behind her.

A/N: Okay, I know that was both a strange place to end the chapter and strange place to start a flashback but I have a couple more flashbacks to add before the end of this story so I need to work them in somewhere.

{01/22/16}