Chapter 10 - Hiding Behind The Truth

Lyra, crestfallen, had finally decided to stop after an hour of searching for the boy whom so deeply resembled his father, discouraged that each time she had caught a glimpse of the boy, he seemingly vanished into thin air.

She strolled through the corridors and into her office, sinking into a chair the moment she threw her door open.

She had ruined everything. Letting Harry go into Hogsmeade had cost her every chance she had of having a good relationship with her best friend's son.

Sighing bemusedly, she wandered over to the fireplace, picking up an old photograph off the mantle and slid her finger gently over the smooth glass.

A younger Lyra Davi stared back at her. It had been taken right after their final Quidditch match in fourth year. A smiling Mary MacDonald had her arm slung around her shoulders and Lily Evans was laughing. Marlene McKinnon appeared to be torn between wanting to be happy for her or being disappointed that it wasn't Gryffindor that won as she glanced at the camera in a bemused way.

Lyra fondly smiled slightly at the delightful memory.

Mary MacDonald had been ever so kind to let her old friend live with her and her family while she wasn't teaching when she returned.

A clattering noise behind her alerted her and brought her back to the present.

She spun around to see Harry standing outside the door uncertainly. Checking the time she assumed it was after hours by then.

"Harry." She nodded stiffly.

Harry shifted, stepping into the room and let the door slam behind him. "You- you and him."

"Harry." She said warningly, letting him know that he was heading into a conversation that was not open to discussion.

"You and Black."

Lyra struggled to remain calm, breathing slowly and deeply through her nose. "Harry, there was nothing between Black and I." She took a step toward him but he backed away.

"They said-"

"Really, Harry? And I wonder how you came by this information."

Harry was beyond reasoning, it seemed. "Have you been helping him?"

She shook her head instantly. "Harry, listen to me," she said urgently, "I have not been helping Black and we were not friends or anything of the sort," she took a cautious step forward, "you believe me, don't you?"

Encouraged when he didn't step away, she hugged him and was very relieved when he hugged back. As she was still very short, he was nearly her height.

He nodded, pulling out of her embrace. "Professor, I know nothing about you except that you were my mother's best friend."

Lyra opened her mouth to say something but Harry continued. "Like, what's your favourite colour, do you like Quidditch, were you Head Girl or a Prefect?"

Rolling her eyes, Lyra shuffled her feet in thought. "Red, scarlet, I guess. Kinda like the Gryffindor colour. I played as a Beater on my team and later as a Chaser. No, I was neither," she laughed, "I was not exactly someone they would've chosen nor did I ever have any desire to be one."

Harry nodded slowly, comprehending all his newfound information. "Now shouldn't you be getting back to the dormitory? It's awfully late."

"I suppose I best get going." He turned, disappearing out the door after waving farewell.

Time lapse

Making her nightly rounds down the corridors, she wasn't too surprised to hear Snape's voice.