Chapter 20 - Blood and Envy

Lyra struggled to keep up with Sirius as they moved closer and closer to the ministry of magic.

What an odd sight they must've been, she thought. The escapees from Azkaban, the two that went from hating each other to acquaintances to friends. Despite everything, Lyra smiled.

Sirius raised an eyebrow. "Smiley, are we?"

Lyra only nodded, a strand of coppery hair coming loose from her ponytail. She wrapped her Slytherin scarf tighter around herself as a chilling wind worked its way down her spine.

Sirius stopped. "Really, you git, what's your issue?"

"Who would've thought that tripping on a train could become this? The two worst enemies of our age, save for Snape and Potter, able to survive a civilized conversation, heck, live together for several months!"

Sirius shrugged. "Perhaps when this is all over, you would-"

A loud crash echoed through the still air behind them and the duo fell into silence, spinning around to see where it had come from.

Hastily shoving his hand into one of his pockets, Sirius turned, hurrying to reach the ministry while shouting over his shoulder, "come on, Davi," and she did just that, breaking into a steady run, Lyra increased her pace.

"The department of mysteries," Sirius called over his shoulder, "that's where Snape said they were going."

Lyra stopped short. "Snape?"

Sirius nodded before realizing that Lyra obviously couldn't see him. He glanced behind him before abruptly stopping. "He contacted me. Harry believes that Voldemort imprisoned me in the department of mysteries. The order is on their way and," he yanked her arm, iron grip encasing it, "keep up!"

They ran together and Lyra couldn't help but think back to the attack on Hogsmeade.

Harry's voice broke Lyra out of her reverie, but no, that wasn't right. He was at Hogwarts and she hadn't seen him or even left Grimmauld place for several long months.

She crept down the stairs, toward the voices coming from the living room. Lyra peered around the corner, letting her eyes feast on the sight inside.

Sirius and Remus kneeled in front of the fireplace and Lyra knew that was where Harry's voice had been coming from.

"She hated him." Harry's miserable voice echoed towards her.

"Nah, she didn't." Sirius said.

"She started going out with him in seventh year, after he had deflated his head a bit." Remus said.

But he continued, "and Lyra, she hated you too."

Sirius snickered. "There's a difference, do you see us married?"

Lyra strode forward, not paying attention to the detail of Harry's response.

She fell to her knees in front of the fire, catching both men off guard. "Harry?" She hollered, desperation thick in her tone of voice.

Silence.

"Harry, please."

Silence.

"Harry!" She bellowed.

The fire went out so quickly, it was as if someone had blown it out like a candle.

Harry rebuffing her didn't faze her all that much as she had grown close to the Weasley twins over the summer and had bet on the outcome of several Quidditch games with Ginny.