Chapter 12 - The Grim

A/N: Merry Christmas, my roonil wazlibs. This isn't edited yet so I'm gonna go over it later if there are mistakes.

By the time Lyra had finally gotten away from Snape, it was much later.

She quickstepped down the corridors, passing Peeves whom was chucking toilet paper over the railings of the moving staircases until she eventually reached the classroom she had been in only an hour or two before.

Shoving the door hard, she grabbed it at the last second so it wouldn't make a sound.

She heard Remus' voice faintly in the distance and she slowly snuck towards his desk. Her eyes landed on the map that was laid open on the surface of said desk and she reached to grab it until her eyes landed on a bunch of names down near the Whomping Willow. She felt bad for whoever the unfortunate git was until she read them.

Harry Potter and Hermione Granger were outside the tree but they kept advancing closer to it. Ron Weasley and Peter Pettigrew were being pulled further down the tunnel into the Shrieking Shack by none other than Sirius Black.

Lyra had gone rigid at the sight of the supposedly deceased boy's name. An icy chill went down her spine.

Hearing footsteps growing nearer, she ducked behind a cabinet just as Remus walked into the room. He strolled over to the map, gazing at it before he turned and disappeared out of the classroom. Lyra sprung to her feet, running out the door after him but being careful to stay out of sight.

She stopped for a moment, leaning against the wall. She stayed there for several minutes, wondering if she really wanted to face the past.

After a lot of time had passed, she pushed herself away from it. She spun on her heel, hurrying back to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom and passing Snape on the way there. He barely acknowledged her as he rushed past.

Lyra, sprinting now, then got to the deserted classroom. She grasped the edge of the map as she continued running, not even glancing at it.

By the time she had reached the middle of the corridor, her pace had slowed considerably and she brought her hand holding the map up.

Observing it briefly, she began jogging faster as she read the new names that had appeared close by. Remus Lupin was now in the Shrieking Shack, as was Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. But there was one more name closing in on them that made her want to just face palm herself until her death.

Severus Snape.

No one attempted to stop her as she sped through the corridors. The moment she stepped her foot out the door, Lyra was gone and a fox stood in her place.

Time lapse

"Don't ask me to fathom the way a werewolf's mind works," Lyra heard Snape's voice echoing above her, the floorboards creaking, "Get out of the way, Potter."

She couldn't hear Harry's response but she guessed he was yelling. Reaching the landing, she transformed back into her human form, not quite fancying everyone knowing she was an animagus since only Remus knew.

She slammed the door open and everyone, stunned, fell into silence. Her wand had since materialized into her outstretched hand. "Bloody hell, what is going on here?"

She raked her eyes over everyone standing in the room until they landed on an only slightly familiar figure. A man with dark hair that evidently hadn't been cut for quite some time and his skin was stretched tightly over his bones. Haunting and shadowed eyes gleamed from their sockets in his wasted face.