Chapter 14 - The Order

A/N: I apologize immensely for not being able to update when I said I would. I've been very busy with schoolwork and stress.

Tonks helped Lyra into Grimmauld Place the moment her feet touched the gravelly ground.

Tripping over her own feet, as she was still not used to using her legs, she limped into the dimly lit hall. The air smelled strongly of moth balls.

Faint conversation drifted through the door at the end of the hallway.

They shoved their way into the dining room, through the doorway.

The bright light hurt Lyra's eyes as she blinked, glancing blindly around the area in front of her until her vision adjusted.

A middle aged appearing woman with fiery red hair sat at the table beside a balding, red haired man with blue eyes. Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Fred and George Weasley were crowded around the table as well.

Lyra hurriedly turned and made for the stairs, tripping over more than a few.

Time lapse

After what everyone in the room could've sworn was two hours, the ragged woman emerged from behind the door she had bolted for.

Lyra's tangled and matted hair had been cut so that it rested at her collar bones that stuck out from her tight skin.

All of the dirt and grime had been scrubbed from her face and she was no longer wearing her aged, filthy and torn white shirt and pants.

She was wearing a jumper with a letter G on the front, which obviously belonged to Ginny, given Lyra's height and weight. She had always concerned Remus with how awfully thin she was, but now she was only skin and bones.

Tonks nodded. "Ms. Davi-"

"Please. Call me Lyra." Lyra's hoarse voice was awfully raspy.

"Lyra," she corrected himself, "are you still able to transform into an animagus?"

"It would much help the Order." Lyra didn't pay attention to whom had spoken these words.

"I cannot." She stated immediately. "It wouldn't do for any good effect either, if that's what you think. The Minister knows I'm a fox."

She grew rigid, attempting to shift but an odd feeling washed over her. She felt ears pop up on the top of her head, gazed down in remorse at her clawed hands and feet as her skin turned a dark scarlet.

Bile rising in her throat, she let the transformation go, turning back to her original state and slumped back in her seat.

She tugged on the hem of her sweater halfheartedly, in extreme discomfort with the many pairs of eyes set on her.

A tinge of pity in his voice, Remus spoke, "Lyra, go back upstairs, we found a trunk in your office at Hogwarts - no, we didn't open it - and managed to bring it here for you when you got out of Azkaban."

With a tinge of hopefulness, Lyra turned and vanished, disappearing into the dimly lit hallway.

"You told us that she was someone we needed. Someone that would be useful to us. If she finds herself unable to perform magic, we have no more than beforehand." A muffled voice, from where Lyra stood, said.

"Of course we have more! Much more! We have Lyra. She's a person, you know. Just because they can't prove their worth at first, doesn't mean they don't matter." Sirius' voice echoed from the floor below her feet. Silence followed his statement.

Trying to block out anything else he spoke of, as it gave her an odd feelings that she didn't much care for, Lyra made her way over to the familiar, old and dusty trunk.

Kneeling down in front of it, it towered over her. Rising slowly from the ground, she worked with the lock until a satisfying 'click' filled the still air.

Taking a deep, though shaky breath, Lyra flung the lid up.

Standing to peer into the space, she crumpled to her knees as an unwanted wave of emotion surged over her as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.

As her eyes gazed hungrily over the contents of the trunk, she reached into it, picking up an object inside.

Inching her fingers past folded piles of clothes that didn't exactly appear to be anything she had once worn, past both her Slytherin and Ravenclaw uniforms and past her racing broom that had been the greatest model of the age.

Finally wrapping her outstretched hand around something in the very back of the trunk, although it was put there with care and gentleness, Lyra brought her hand up to marvel at what she held.

A familiar feeling worked its way into her as she stared at the wand she had clutched in her left hand. Grief and remorse tore through her but she shook it off.

A warmth had sprouted up her arm the moment her skin had come in contact with the old wand.

Gemini Davi's wand.

Time lapse

All the conversation had ceased when the witches and wizards crowded around the room heard a creak on the stairs above them. They quieted, awaiting the mess of a witch.

A few of them in the dining room had gasped when she eventually came into view. The ones that had known the girl whom this witch deeply resembled now.

Gemini's old clothing hung slightly too loose on Lyra, as she had lost way more weight than healthy and Gemini had always been tall, having been 5'10 at the time of her demise.

Lyra's now shorter hair was held back in a tight ponytail that rivalled one of her late sister's and, whereas Gemini's blue eyes used to glow mischievously, Lyra's amber ones gleamed just as bright if not wiser and much less naïve than they had before.

The one thing that had changed the most, even with all of the difference in her appearance, was the newly determined expression present on her face, as if a new strength had been placed upon her as she tightly clutched the eleven and a half inch, black walnut wand of Gemini Davi.

{01/08/16}