Chapter 5 - Dreadful Screams

A/N: Next chapter Monday.

The students of Gryffindor house got quite a rude awakening the day they heard the horrid wailing screams of The Fat Lady.

Lyra Davi had quite a pleasant time pushing through the crowds of them. Not.

She could hear little bits and pieces of conversation from where she stood. She had learned long ago that you get much more information from keeping your mouth shut and listening rather than directly asking.

"Why isn't anyone going in?"

"Bet Neville's forgotten the password again."

"What's going on?"

She stretched up on the tips of her toes but still some students were taller than her, even in her heels. The Head Boy - Percy or whatever his name was - was pushing forward shouting that he was the head boy and that they couldn't all have forgotten the password.

Finally, she got a glimpse of what had happened as Dumbledore pressed through the students.

The Fat Lady's portrait had been cut into strips. Peeves was busy flying around and chanting something dreadful.

Not able to hear what was going on at the front of the crowd, she watched Peeves. He flew overhead and seemed to catch sight of the girl's coppery hair.

"Ha! If it isn't Lyrical Lyra the Carolling DaVinci." He cackled.

"Ah, Peeves the piccolo prodigy, my man. Where have you been?" Lyra asked pleasantly.

He looked delighted at the sight of everyone's worry and, obviously not seeing any in Lyra, proceeded to soar away.

Time lapse

The students of each and every house had been quickly ushered into the Great Hall and Lyra was quite sure that there wasn't a single centimetre of floor that didn't have a purple sleeping bag flung across it.

Every hour, a different teacher had to go check to make sure the room was silent (because let's be real here, none of them really trusted Percy to keep it that way).

Lyra checked during the fourth hour, slowly pacing around the hall, kicking a student's leg every time she heard a whisper.

At one point, when one specific trio of Gryffindor students wouldn't stop talking, she kneeled down beside them and tried to join their conversation.

With all the news of Sirius Black, Lyra eventually slipped into an uneasy sleep filled with old memories.

Sirius glared at Lyra, teeth bared in hatred. James stood beside him, threateningly holding his wand to her neck. Her younger voice spoke hauntingly in her dreams.

"You think you can control everyone like they're puppets. And all those girls, your 'fangirls' as you like to call them, you play them as if they're games." She stepped closer to him, her face only inches away from his. "You're a coward, Sirius Black."

Lyra awoke, cold sweat causing her hair to plaster to her forehead. Glancing at the time, she realized with a jolt that she only had a few minutes to hurry to DADA. Checking the schedule she had written on her hand, she knew that last night had been the full moon. Poor Remus. She felt a tiny tinge of pity before she went back to not caring for someone she could lose. 'I am a coward.' She thought glumly.

Throwing on another white shirt and black pants, she bolted out the door, running as quickly as her legs would take her as she flung her Slytherin scarf around her neck. She passed a few students on the way there, throwing a thumbs up over her shoulder as she ran by.

She flew through the door, nearly toppling Harry over whom had evidently just shown up to class.

Snape sat at the teacher's desk not looking too amused. "Glad you too decided to join us, Miss Davi. Is that what I ought to call you? You're behaving like a student."

Lyra frowned. "Severus. What an, er pleasant surprise?" She brushed herself off and walked towards him, leaning in close so that none of the students could pick up her words. "If I recall correctly, you were the one that was often late for class."

Snape glared darkly at her. "I almost don't recognize you. For a moment I thought you were Black. The messy hair, not caring for rules. No wonder it was him you were so infatuated with."

Lyra heard ringing in her ears and her heart was beating against her ribcage dangerously fast but she fought to keep her composure, knowing that Snape only wanted to get her fired up so that she'd do something she'd regret.

"I was not infatuated with him for your information but quite frankly, that's not your business. Stay in your lane, Snape." She kept her voice calm but there was an edge to it that held warning that the topic was not welcome.

She continued. "That was a fairly lame attempt to get me angry, if you ask me. Didn't you know? I stopped hating myself for the crush I had on Sirius Black ages ago. That's what normal people do, get over it and move on. Not that you'd know." She spat at him.

Before he could retort back, she spun on her heel and positioned herself as far away as humanly possible from Snape, a sour taste filling her mouth.

{12/04/15}