Chapter 8 - Mirror Mirror..

Lyra Davi had seen many unusual things in her time at Hogwarts. Three boys changing into Animagus forms and one changing into a werewolf. The four of them pranking nonstop with the help of a poltergeist that loved nothing more than to cause trouble.

Although another recurring theme had familiarized itself with her as well. The four boys gathering around this stray parchment. Something they obviously valued very much but whenever she got close enough it was either blank, as normal as any other old parchment or they saw her before she could catch a glimpse, earning her a good hexing.

But never had she seen two redheaded boys hovering over the very same parchment, no more and no less. Attempting to skip class and heading in the direction of forbidden ground.

Quickstepping toward them, not really expecting the two Weasley twins to hex or jinx her, she was quite caught off guard when they spun around, shoving the parchment behind their backs as they faced her.

They looked back at her warily. "Professor Carrow,"

"fancy seeing you here,"

"is there something,"

"we can,"

"help you with?" They both finished together.

Lyra gulped down her surprise. "No matter, Mr. Weasley and, er, Mr. Weasley. Fred and George, I'll call you that."

They nodded, appearing awfully confused as to why she was having a civilized conversation with them as they hadn't expected that from a Slytherin who openly went by a Death Eater last name.

She smiled. "Skipping class, are we?"

Their faces fell, obviously realizing she wasn't as daft as they were hoping nor did her ignorance to what they were doing last long.

"I express my disappointment that you let me find you. It seems I have no choice but to give you detention."

Fred and George looked indifferent about their punishment, smugly shrugging. Lyra glanced all around her before turning away from the Weasley twins.

She cupped her hands around her mouth. "Peeves!"

The poltergeist materialized behind her almost immediately, causing her to jump.

"Lyrical Lyra the Carolling DaVinci." He bowed dramatically, mocking her and put on a formal tone. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Bloody hell, Peeves," she shot a look at the Weasley twins, noticing she cursed in front of students, "always gotta make an entrance?"

Peeves cackled.

Lyra brushed herself off. "I've found something for you to do." She turned to Fred and George. "Go back to whatever it is you were doing. Though I strongly advise you not to use the secret passage that you were heading toward. It caved in years ago. You'd be much better off," she made a wild hand gesture in the other direction, "with the one that way. Three right turns then a left and down the stairs. You can't miss it."

She spun on her heel so that she had her back to them and spoke loudly. "Gee, I hope there aren't any students up to no good behind me. I'd have absolutely no idea, I have my back turned."

She heard the scuttling of their feet heading in the direction she had pointed to as she kept her eyes on the wall in front of her. When she didn't hear anymore footsteps, she turned and leaned against the wall.

"I am such a great influence." And with that she set off down the opposite corridor.

She strolled down the corridor she had just told Fred and George not to go down. She was just that stubborn.

She crawled through the rubble and climbed down into the passageway before jumping down. Seeing no one in sight, she changed. Where the professor had stood with her now tainted white shirt and wild hair, stood a brilliant fox.

She knew that Dumbledore had hidden something down there sometime around 1991 or 1992 and she intended to find out what.

Crawling through tiny spaces and over splintered boards, she finally stumbled across a room that seemed to be in much better shape than the rest of the dim passage.

She felt a gasp rising in her throat at the sight of a hoard of animals but bit her tongue upon quickly realizing they were all foxes and an odd glint shone off of each one. They were mirrors.

She silently observed each one intently, not moving.

She felt her eyes widen as she discovered her reflection was her in one of them.

Stepping closer to it, she found that the mirror had strange words engraved on it but no matter how hard she strained her eyes, she could not read them.

Sure enough, she was still physically a fox but her reflection in that one mirror was a girl with tangled coppery hair and she wore a tainted white shirt.

But something else struck her as odd. It was changing. Her reflection had changed. She looked younger, happier and she was wearing her Slytherin robes proudly, hair tied back in a neat ponytail.

She wasn't the only person there either. She hurriedly changed back into her human form to get a better view of the picture the mirror was showing her.

Her mother and father stood behind her reflection, smiling down at her. Their arms were linked and her father looked much happier than she had ever seen him in person. Ara and Gemini frowned at each other and it was evident from the way their lips were moving that they were arguing although no sound was heard. Lily and Marlene were laughing together, faces bright.

And the boy standing there. He appeared younger than his picture in the newspaper and all the years in Azkaban were gone from his expression and appearance entirely. He had the same elegant air about him as he had in school. Sirius.

Sirius had his arm slung around some girl's shoulders and Lyra found it almost strange the happiness this caused her. She didn't recognize the girl, as she had ocean blue eyes and strawberry blonde hair. She resembled no one they had gone to school with. But she did recognize the loving look in both their eyes, she just hadn't seen it in his before.

That's when she finally knew what this mirror was and why Dumbledore had it hidden. It was the Mirror of Erised and her deepest desire was for her family and friends to be alive and well.

But they never would be because of her.

A/N: Thanks so much for 1.5k on this story! <3

See you on the next chapter, my fellow Roonil Wazlibs.

Usque ad proximam testimonii,

- Ara

{12/14/15}