Chapter 9 - The Marauders Map

A/N:
I was very busy Friday with it being the last day of school and yesterday with Christmas shopping so I didn't get to update yesterday. Forgive me?

Lyra stealthily quickstepped through the corridors. She was utterly determined to find out what that parchment was.

Abruptly she stopped, pressing up against the wall as some noise, voices, was picked up by her ears.

"What do I need with a bit of old parchment?"

Face palming herself, she got closer, following the sound. As she wasn't paying attention anymore, she only caught bits and pieces of the conversation.

"A bit of old parchment-"

"I am up to-"

"good-"

"mischief managed-"

Finally, she came around the corner to see Fred and George holding the very same parchment to show Harry.

They were too busy looking around to make sure no one was coming to spot the rust coloured fox intently observing their every move.

She stiffened in the shadows as the Weasley twins strode away, leaving Harry with the parchment.

Turning to follow him, she kept a safe distance as he made his way through the secret passageway into the Honeydukes cellar.

Time lapse

Harry stared down at the parchment, making his way up from the cellar when he knew the coast was clear.

He looked down again and with a sickening jolt he read a name standing right behind him.

He spun around to see Professor Carrow whom also appeared to be taken aback by his sudden knowledge of her presence.

He hurriedly closed the parchment, shoving it behind his back.

"Professor, I-"

She waved her hand impatiently. "Sneaking into Hogsmeade, are we? Oh, your father would be proud."

He shifted uneasily. She raised her eyebrows at this.

"Well, go on then. Go buy your chocolate frogs or whatever it was you were wanting in Hogsmeade."

Harry looked confused. "But I'm breaking the rules."

He was startled when Professor Carrow laughed. "I spoke to 'Gred and Forge' only hours ago. Try me."

Her face turned serious again. "Move along then." She turned away from him and spoke louder.

"I am sure I heard a student down here. But wherever did they go?"

She heard the scuttling of feet as Harry hurried away. When silence was all that met her ears, she looked around.

She smirked. "I'm so clever."

And she was off.

Time lapse

Although she had originally decided against it, she changed her mind, thinking that she probably should watch over Harry and snuck into Hogsmeade.

A light snowfall had just begun as she pranced through Hogsmeade, a soft blanket of snow coating her red fur.

As she made her way through the village determining which building he had gone into, she frustratedly argued with herself.

She hadn't meant to become attached to anyone or anything ever again but she found herself deeply concerned for Harry's safety and had begun to care about him no matter how much she tried not to.

Eventually, although it didn't take long, she figured out where he must have gone.

It hadn't been the greatest timing she'd ever had as she slipped through the door to the Three Broomsticks just as McGonagall, Flitwick, Fudge and Hagrid entered.

She watched as they made their way to a table that supposedly no one was at but at her level on the floor she spotted Harry and the two other students he hung around with who's names she hadn't bothered to remember though she knew that the boy was a Weasley and the girl was Miss Granger.

She thought for a moment of getting up and joining the group of teachers gathered since not only was there was no rule against her being in Hogsmeade but she also had enough authority to know what they were speaking about so secretly but ultimately decided against it.

They were probably speaking of matters that concerned her, hence why she wasn't invited. She assumed maybe her invitation had gotten lost on the way across the corridor.

McGonagall had been quite fond of her back in school and Flitwick had known she always meant well, even if she did end up setting things ablaze once in awhile. It was Hagrid that had never appeared to be keen on the girl. And of course she knew never to make too big of an impression on the Minister of Magic.

She stilled, letting her ears perk up to pick up the distanced conversation, although she missed quite a bit of it as she was busy paying attention to Harry.

"Quite the double act, Sirius Black and James Potter!"

Lyra felt sick as she remembered Harry's presence. She glanced his way to see if he had heard. He had. In all of her days, Lyra was sure that she had never seen anyone who looked so utterly dejected.

Lyra listened intently to the other comments about Black, going rigid at the mention of her former bully.

Madame Rosmerta's voice entered her thoughts once more. "What ever happened to the girl? The one Black fancied. Lyric Dale?"

"Lyra Davi." McGonagall corrected.

Fudge scratched his chin. "She teaches Defence Against the Dark Arts with Mr. Lupin."

Rosmerta nodded, a thoughtful look on her face. "And you don't suspect her? I wouldn't. Always was a pleasant girl when she came in here. Polite."

Fudge seemed as though he was contemplating whether or not to mention something. Finally he spoke. "I've been wanting to keep an eye on her for some time. Must've been fond of Black. She fancied him back in their first year."

McGonagall shot a dark glare at him. "She was bullied by them for many years. Surely you can't be serious."

Lyra noticed Harry slipping out the door out of the corner of her eye and she quickly approached the table in which the teachers were sitting at, transforming back into herself.

The five sitting there looked shocked at her sudden appearance.

"Good day, Minister, Minerva, Rosmerta, Flitwick and Hagrid." She said pleasantly.

Her eyes flashed. "But for the record," she placed her hands on the table, voice deathly calm, "I do not need babysitting. I am not a child nor was there anything between Black and I." She snapped.

She spun on her heel, marching out the door furiously in search of Harry.

{12/20/15}