Chapter 11 - The Patronus

A/N: Here, have a filler sort of chapter right now as I want to finish the Prisoner of Azkaban portion of the book on Christmas.

Lyra walked down towards the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom feeling as though she were floating with her newfound discovery, as if her feet weren't touching the floor and she was walking on a cloud.

She had meant to speak with Remus immediately after she realized the parchment was a map but hadn't been able to as she had forgotten about the Quidditch game the upcoming afternoon between Slytherin and Gryffindor resulting in Gryffindor's winning of the cup.

She shoved the door open, nearly knocking someone over.

Harry jumped out of the way as the door slammed against the wall behind it and Remus stared at the amber eyed girl, looking uneasy.

Lyra glanced between them and raised her eyebrows in question. "Am I interrupting something?"

"No, I was only showing Harry how to produce a patronus. I have been for quite some time, he's getting to be very good." Remus shrugged but still had that nervous glint in his eye.

Lyra motioned for them to continue. "Well, let's see it then. You've told me about it, why not demonstrate?"

Harry nodded uncertainly. Remus opened the chest.

It went for Harry at first, obviously sensing the horrors in his life but it then stopped short. It moved away from his patronus, un phased.

It spun around until it was facing Lyra and she only had enough time to grab her wand and mutter, "Expecto Patronum," before it had dived for her. The Boggart was still too close to Harry to change.

Charms and Transfiguration being her strong subjects, Lyra fell to the ground, going rigid as the Boggart then got close enough to change into her worst fear and the last thing she heard before her consciousness faded was, "Riddikulus!"

Lyric groaned as the red hot light shredded through her eyelids. The Carrows had this habit of waking the girls up at four a clock sharp every morning by turning on this horrible heater that not only lit the room with these terrible bright lights but also seemed to roast the room as if it were on fire.

She rolled out of bed, landing on the floor with a heavy thud to see that Sage had already made her bed and left the room on time as always. The Carrows made the three sisters share one room. Gemma lay face down on her bed with her blankets stripped off of her over-heating body. Her t-shirt seemed to be drenched with sweat and her pyjama pants were pushed up to her knees and they clung to her legs.

Despite the fact that she knew Gemma wouldn't voluntarily get up no matter the circumstances, as she loved to do whatever it took to anger their new 'guardians', she still limped over to tap the girl's shoulder.

Gemma didn't move right away but eventually she lifted her head. Her blonde hair stuck to her forehead and her face was a shade of dark red. "Wh-what?" She gasped out, her dehydrated vocal cords crying out in protest as her lips cracked.

Lyric huffed in annoyance. "Get up, Gem. You look dreadful."

Gemma looked irritated. "If I c-could get u-up, I'd," she swallowed, her voice slowly growing stronger "strangle y-you."

With that, she flopped back down onto her bed. If you could call it that, their beds were hard as stone with only one lumpy and thin mattress each. Deciding that Gemma was obviously too determined to anger the Carrows, Lyric trudged over to the door of the furnace-like bedroom, her clammy hands slipping on the doorknob.

"Lyra- Lyra!"

Lyra sat up with help from Remus. Harry quickly ran over, handing her a glass of water. Nodding in thanks, she downed the liquid.

Remus' eyebrows were furrowed. "Are you alright?"

She shrugged, pushing herself to her feet. "I'll just- go back to my office." She hurried out of the room only realizing how empty her pockets were when she reached said office. Checking them many times, she spun on her heel to face the direction she had come from.

"That bloody git!" She cried before she stomped back to the classroom.

Lyric sat silently at the table, staring at the tiny portion of food on her plate compared to both Carrows.

Her uncle raised an eyebrow. "Not hungry, Lyra?"

Lyric glared. "My name's Lyric."

He scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Ah, the muggle name my," he paused, "moronic blood traitor sister called you."

"She was not a blood traitor!" Lyric heard the sound of something shattering behind her. She turned to see Gemma with intense hatred etched into her expression standing in the doorway. Lyric hadn't heard her enter and evidently, neither had anyone else.

"How dare you talk back!" Cassiopeia growled. "Crucio!"

Gemma fell to the floor with a heavy thud and writhed in pain but she didn't scream. Their aunt continued, "How dare you be sorted into Gryffindor!"

Even Sage looked on with disapproval. Apollo glanced at her. "Ara, would you be so kind to grab a rag and clean up the floor." He said as more of a statement than question. Sage quickly nodded before turning and fleeing to find one.

Lyra was stopped by none other than Severus Snape as she hurried to get the Marauders map back.

"Carrow! I suspect you've finished examining the parchment."

Lyra nodded, agitated that of everyone in the school, she had to bump into the person she hated most of all.

"It's just plain old parchment, Snape."

Snape appeared to be fuming and could've had smoke going out his ears and Lyra wouldn't have been surprised. "You and I both know that's not correct."

"What do you propose it is?"

Snape's face had gone white. "Something.. to do.. with.. POTTER!" He spat.

Lyra looked back at him coldly. "What's the big deal about some old parchment that belonged to James? I don't know what it is you wish to find, unless you're hoping it has his autograph on it or something.." she trailed off.

He seemed to be completely and utterly outraged. "I don't want precious Potter's autograph!"

"Then I can't help you." She went to walk past him but he grabbed her forearm.

"Do you know that the Ministry has let the Dementors perform the kiss on Black should they find him? That's the fate that awaits him." He hissed.

"I know that as well as anyone, Snape. What are you implying?"

Snape's mouth twisted into a sickening smile. "Nothing. I just thought you'd care a little more about the filth you love so much." He turned and strode away.

{12/23/15}