Chapter 4

It was about noon the next day and I woke up on the couch. I sat up, faced with everything still in the places Caroline and I had left it last night. The half eaten spaghetti, the once ice water which had melted, the napkins.. it was all left right in the exact places we had placed them. I sighed, rubbing eyes. I had really messed up last night, big time. Caroline was an amazing woman, no doubt about it. Over the past week that I've known her, I had truly fallen for her. Inviting her to walk with me through downtown Nashville was my first attempt to get to know her better. Honestly, that night was perfect. Yet, I still found a way to mess up. There was definitely no chance of me ever having a beautiful woman like her to myself anymore. She made it perfectly clear that she had made a mistake.

Caroline and I sorta met in college. I had said a mere maybe, I don't know, two words to her that night in Dingus Magee's. I believe they were the exact words "Excuse me," She was so gorgeous sitting perched up on a bar stool and I had been to shy to say hello or catch her name. We had only ran into each other and taken a group picture together because of a mutual friend we shared.

I forced myself up from the couch and began to clear away the coffee table mess. As I forked the cold, leftover spaghetti into the garbage can that was in the cupboard under the sink, the calendar on the fridge next to me caught my eye. Call Kelsie, take her to dinner was written in the square for today. I mentally face palmed myself as I quickly realized I had a date tonight. Kelsie was an up and coming recording artist who is signed with the same label as I am. We had bumped into each other in the elevator and got to talking.

Just then, I was jolted from my thoughts as I heard the front door open. In came Bo and Tate, carrying their camouflage printed pillows. Then followed by Til and Caroline who both carried a small suitcase. One for the littler boys to share and one for Til. Tate came running back down the stairs and impatiently stood on his tippy toes in front of Caroline who was slipping out of her tennis shoes.

"Yes Tate?" She said.

"Thank you for playing cars with me." He beamed.

She smiled and I smiled to myself, feeling myself beam. Her smile could easily make me happy... but I had messed that up.

"Of course buddy. Maybe later we can play again. How's that sound?" She asked, patting his head.

Tate nodded vigorously before barreling upstairs, making car "vroom" noises as he went. Caroline smiled wide as she followed Tate with her eyes. She eventually looked away and towards the kitchen. Her smile quickly fell as she saw me smiling at her. My heart sunk. I had broken her and I could tell by the look in her eyes.

In an effort to make some sort of interaction with Caroline, I walked up to her and crossed my arms.

"I see you've got Tate on your side now. You offered to play cars with him, you're basically God now because he's gonna worship the ground you walk on." I said, laughing.

She nodded. "Yeah, I better go do laundry and leave you to tend to whatever country singers need to tend to. Actually," she turned and walked away, continuing to talk. "I think I hear your phone ringing now. Better go answer it, big shot." Her voice was icy and full of sarcasm.

Her words stung but I kinda deserved it. My phone wasn't ringing.

::::::::

I sat on the floor with Tate, racing Matchbox cars across the hardwood floor. Bo and Til sat on the sofas, watching TV. It was peaceful. No one was arguing, everyone was doing as they were told, no fuss. It was great.

The familiar sound of boots clicking across the floor signaled that Luke was approaching. I looked up as he appeared from the kitchen. He made make take a double glance because he was looking very attractive tonight. He was wearing black jeans and a red and black plaid, button down shirt. His hair was neatly done. Tonight was one of the very few times he wasn't wearing a hat and man did I enjoy the sight if that.

Til laughed. "Got a hot date Uncle Luke?"

Luke smiled. "Actually I do. Her name's Kelsie. I won't be back until later be good, ya hear me?"

"Yes sir." Each of the kids spoke in unison.

Got a hot date Uncle Luke? Actually I do. Her name's Kelsie. The words stabbed a hole in my heart that hurt like hell. After what had happened last night, I would have never of guessed he'd go right out and replace me. Oh what am I saying, I was never his! It was all just a hoax that kiss.

As soon as Luke left, all else was quiet. Tate had moved next to me and snuggled up on me. I smiled at how adorable he was.

Til sighed loudly and I looked up. "What's wrong bud?"

Til shook his head, proceeding to do something on his phone. "Nothing."

"You sure? I might be able to help." I said a little concerned.

He looked up from the screen and contemplated something before sliding down from the couch and next to me.

He showed me his phone. "Well ya see I was too nervous to ask this really pretty girl named Ally to the dance next Friday in person so I texted her. She read it a minute ago but hasn't responded. I just really like her and I'm nervous."

I smiled. "Take a deep breath, I was a girl her age once myself and I can guarantee that there's a 90% chance that she's freaking out over the fact that you asked her and is texting all her little girl friends. Just hold tight."

He smiled. "Thanks Caroline."

"No problem, anytime."

He sat back down next to Bo and no more than five minutes later did he grin from ear to ear. I smiled.

::::::::

I gently shut the door and locked it, careful not to wake anyone up. I could hear the faint sound of the TV murmurs coming from the family room. There on the couch slept Caroline with Tate right up next to her. I smiled and just let them be before beading back up to my room.