Chapter 10

I woke up and briskly made my way down the stairs. It was Christmas morning and I had a lot to do before everyone woke up. As I came to the bottom of the steps, dressed still in my pajamas, I saw the abundance of gifts piled underneath the Christmas tree's pine needles and the stockings stuffed with stocking stuffers hing over the fire place with care. Christmas, my favorite holiday. Last night, we had chilli dogs for dinner. Luke had explained that it was his family's long time tradition. I had then told him how every year, my family had a ritual to make this elaborate Christmas breakfast of cinnamon bun french toast, which is exactly what it sounds like, eggs, sausage or bacon, and freshly squeezed orange juice. He had agreed to let me carry out that tradition here, as he was looking forward to it.

By the time I had set the table, Luke had come downstairs in his red plaid pajama bottoms and a tshirt, his bedhead extra crazy this morning. He smiled and walked over to the coffee pot. I could tell he was not up to talking until he got so caffeine into his system.

"Wow Caroline," Luke took a whiff of the air. "It smells amazing in here."

I smirked. "Wait until you taste that mouthwatering smell, your taste buds will be begging for more."

He nodded. "I bet you they will."

Luke took a glance around the kitchen, taking in the sight of all of the delicacies I had prepared. He smiled slightly.

"This is too much. You're just our nanny, I never once asked you to do so much, yet you always insist and apply yourself when and where needed." I tried to cut in but he shook his head, continuing. "You've honestly become part of the family these past few months. You're like a mother to the kids, I'm sure Tate considers you his Mama. He was three when Chelsea passed so you're the only mother-figure he knows. You cook and clean as if you own this place. You run errands and take Pappy for walks every now and then."

I slightly blushed at the praise, my cheeks burned hotter knowing that Luke has thought so highly of me. "I'm just doing my job, sir."

Luke lifted my chin with his finger tips, bringing my gaze to meet his. "You know, you look cute when you blush."

Well that made my cheeks probably flush pink right there. I could feel those butterflies flapping their wings madly and I begged them to settle down, but even I knew that wasn't going to happen. Luke chuckled. "Why are you blushing darling?"

I was mentally begging him to stop. I shook my head. "I guess, I uh, just blush when I'm praised."

He laughed. "You sure?"

"Yup."

It was silent for a moment and Luke took another sip of his coffee. I honestly wanted to go hide right now. Then the conversation got serious once more.

Luke spoke. "No, I'm honestly very grateful for everything you've done and for most importantly you, Carol. You've been a blessing to us."

Did he just call me Carol? "Why'd you call me Carol?"

Luke cleared his throat. "Oh, sorry. I give nicknames to certain people sometimes. I used to call Chelsea, Chels."

Luke stared at me, gazing deep into my eyes as if he were trying to tell me something. We stood there, both lost in our intricate thoughts, glaring into the other's eyes. Our trance was broken as the kids came barreling down the stairs like they couldn't get down them quick enough. We both laughed and joined them at the table. We said grace and dug in. The meal was great and the way everyone devoured firsts the. Seconds showed that, but my mind was somewhere else. My mind was on Luke and what he was trying to put across. Something was going on inside that brain of his when we stared at each other.

We all gathered in the family room once the meal was done. The kids circled the tree and Luke and I sat next to each other on the sofa. One by one, gifts were tore open and wrapping paper of different colors and designs were tossed every which way.

  "Alright kiddos, I have something for all of you." I announced, bringing out a package from behind my back. It was wrapped in red wrapping paper with a silver bow on top.

  Til took it from me and smiled wide as he opened it. Bo and Tate crowded around him like hungry vultures.

  "Thanks Miss Caroline!" Til exclaimed. The others thanked me after him.

   I had gotten each of them passes to Sky Zone, including one for Luke and I.

  "Oh Til, there's an extra one in there so you can bring along a friend so you're not stuck with having to mess with Bo and Tate." I explained.

  Til stood up. "Gee, really? Thanks." He came over to me and gave me an unexpected hug.

  I turned to Luke who had a smile as big as Texas on his face. He leaned over to me and whispered. "You didn't have to do that, it must have cost you a fortune."

I shook my head. "It's all worth it seeing the smile that paints their faces."

  Luke just smiled and looked to Bo. "Bo, can you grab that red box with green ribbon on it for me please?"

  It was the last present and I wondered who it was for. Luke turned to me and handed me the box. I shot him a puzzled look.  "No, no, no. I don't have anything to give you in return. I can't accept this. I'm sorry."

Luke laughed. "I don't care. Just open it."

  I hesitated but slipped the lid off and gently set it to the side. Inside were two things laid on top of tissue paper. A bottle of wine and a small black box. A bottle of  Vineyard 7 & 8 Estate red Cabernet wine took up most of the space. I gasped and looked at Luke.

  "Luke," I quickly said. "You can't give me this. This is expensive."

  He shrugged. "You forget that I'm rich a lot of the time. That barely made a dent in my pocket, not even a scratch. Besides, I know you like it so I got it for you."

  "How'd you know I liked it?" I asked, a bit puzzled.

  "Leah. I called and asked her." He said. "Now open the black box."

  I was quite touched by the fact that he had taken the time to reach out to my best friend like that. I reached for the black box and slowly opened it. Inside was a sea turtle necklace. Right away I noticed it was white gold. I almost blacked out.

"It's a natural 14k white gold .22c Pave diamond sea turtle pendant on a silver chain." Luke explained.

  "Luke, no I-I can't accept this. This is a gift for someone important like your mom or a spouse. Not a nanny!" I exasperated.

  He smiled. "See that's the thing, you are special. I want you to come with me to Crash My Playa. Just you and me. You deserve some time off. A little break, time in the sun, on the beautiful coasts of Mexico."

I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. "But what about the kids? Who's gonna-"

"My Mama will be looking after them." Luke explained.

"Are you sure?" I asked quietly. "It's all too much, really."

  "I'm sure Caroline." He patted my knee. "I'm sure... now let me put this beautiful necklace on a beautiful woman."

I slightly blushed and handed Luke the box, turning away from him. He  gently put it around my neck. The slightest touch of his fingertips against my neck sent shivers tingling down my spine. He clasped it together and I admired how gorgeous the piece of jewelry was. I turned around and looked at Luke, who was smiling wide. I gave him a hug.

"Thank you." I breathed in his neck.

  "You're welcome."  He whispered.

  As we pulled back from the embrace, I watched Luke as he told the kids what to do with their gifts. I knew that I had completely fallen for the man who sat inches from me, the man with cowboy boots and a ball cap. I was tired of running from my problems. I couldn't stay away from the man with cowboy boots and a ball cap, I loved him too much to do that.