Chapter 25

"Someday, somewhere, somehow,
it's all going to come together and
everything that came before it will
all make sense."

  I woke up, awoken by the sounds of ruckus. When I sat up, it took me a moment to come to with my surroundings. I wasn't at the little beach house in Mexico anymore, rather I was in Luke's room, yet everything was different. The bed spread was white, they used to be a deep red, and the drapes were a light blue, they used to be beige. Immediately I jumped up and ran into Luke's bathroom only to find all of my shower stuff in his shower. This wasn't right. Why was everything different and why wasn't I in Mexico? What was happening. Throwing open drawers, I dug through them until I found a thermometer. 98.8... well I wasn't sick and I certainly wasn't hallucinating. Switching on the faucet, I splashed cold water on my face in hopes of everything becoming clear, but I was still just as confused as ever.

"Caroline, you're awake. Good morning sweetie." I heard Luke say.

I turned at the sound of his voice and smiled, wondering why on Earth he called me sweetie and wasn't asking why his nanny was snooping through his stuff. "Good morning..." I responded lightly, trailing off as Luke leaned in, placing a kiss on my lips.

Instinctively, I kissed back, enjoying it all too well. Luke pulled apart and smiled, before mentioning something else. "I already fed Gracie, she's downstairs in her pack-n-play. I have to run into the studio, Kerri called last minute asking me to record some final vocals."

I nodded, confused. "Who are you talking about?" I asked, almost immediately regretting it after I saw the look Luke's face held.

"Gracie, our daughter. Babe are sure you're alright?" He asked concerned.

I nodded my head again before shaking it, lifting my hand to my face to rub it. "Yah, sorry. I thought you said something else. Have a good day in the studio though."

He smiled softly, obviously still concerned, before kissing my forehead and stepping out of the bathroom. As soon as he was out of eyesight, I stole a quick glance down at my left hand, and to my surprise, there was a large diamond ring perched on my ring finger.

I jolted up, quickly reaching for my face and rubbing it. My forehead was slightly sweaty and my breathing was at a quicker pace than normal. As I looked around, I noticed I was still on the couch except a throw blanket was over top of me, and Luke was missing. The thought of Luke sent thoughts running through my mind about the dream I'd just awoken from. Quite honestly, it scared me. If this truly wasn't just a fling to Luke and we worked out, what would life be like, being a wife to a country music superstar? Of course I wanted a family and a loving husband, but I wouldn't have a so-called normal life if I married Luke. He'd be on the road, often going weeks without seeing us I'd assume. Then there's the little privacy we'd have when going out in public and the glitz and the glam. Was I ready for all of that? Was I capable enough to live that kind of lifestyle? I wasn't sure, but I forced the thought to the back of my mind as Luke emerged from the kitchen.

::::

"Hey Caroline, good afternoon." I said cheerfully. "We fell asleep on the couch last night so I hope you don't mind I slept next to ya."

She shook her head. "No, that's quite alright. And good afternoon? What time is it?"

I chuckled. "1:30. We were up pretty late talking about stuff..." I quickly looked down at my bare feet, remembering what we talked about and did. Eating ice cream out of its tub together, while laying next to each other, pretty intimate thing to do between a nanny and a boss.