Chapter 35

The annoying sound of a blaring alarm clock jolted me from my sleep. I shoved my head further into the pillow as I groaned. As the sheets beside me ruffled, Caroline stirred before grumbling, "Shut the damn alarm off or hit the snooze button, Lord. Too early for this sh..." She trailed off.

I reluctantly rolled over and blindly reached towards the bed side table, switching the alarm off. Once the beeping had seized, Caroline moved closer to me and nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck. Instinctively, I wrapped my arms around her. With one hand I rubbed her back and the other I played with her blonde hair that had partially fallen out of the pony tail she'd placed it in last night. I don't know what it was about these kind of early-rise mornings where Caroline would just snooze in my arms, but they were precious to me. These moments felt like they'd last forever, and to be completely honest, I was a-okay with that. The other half of touring was approaching and I knew I wouldn't be able to do this every morning for that much longer. Soon I'd be out on the road for days on end and we'd have to settle for Facetime goodnights and text message good mornings, with a few calls in between. 

"Babe, Lord knows I'd love to lay here all day like this," Caroline spoke softly, never opening her eyes. "But we both know that the kids need to get to school and we have to get ready for the ACMs today."

I sighed. "I know, so better get up."

Caroline placed her hand on my chest and slowly began trailing it down towards my boxers. "You know, if I get up early, I also go to bed early." She reached the tops of my briefs and began making little circles around the top. "And that means no treat for you after the awards tonight, if you know what I mean."

I gulped and slowly removed her hand from my body and placed it back onto her own. She laughed and I shook my head. "Fine, I'll take the kids to school today, but I better get some loving tonight."

Caroline untangled herself from my arms and rolled back to her side. I just slightly chuckled and slipped out from underneath the covers. I quickly showered and got ready before jogging downstairs. The boys were all gathered in the living room with their things watching Spongebob Squarepants.

"Let's go boys!" I said cheerfully. "Out to the truck, please!"

They all looked up and began filing towards the door.

"Where's Miss Caroline?" Tate asked innocently.

I shut the front door once everyone had gone outside. "Oh, she's still sleeping buddy, so I thought I'd take y'all to school today."

Tate seemed content with my answer and waited for me to help him up into the truck. Once I'd given him a boost, I ran around to my side and hopped in. I myself buckled up and adjusted the rear view mirror.

"Okay, guys, you all know Miss Caroline and I won't be home when you guys get home because we'll be at the ACMs. Memaw will be picking you up." I announced. "As long as y'all are good for her, you can stay up and watch me on TV tonight."

::::

Caroline and I arrived in Las Vegas right on time. I had a surprise for her- we were staying in one of the nicest hotels in Vegas. We had our own private suite which she was going to love.

"Can I peek yet?" Caroline asked, slightly whining.

"Okay," I said, pulling out the room keys. "You can open your eyes now."

  I pushed open the door just as Caroline opened her eyes. She gasped and I smiled.

"You did not!" She gasped, slapping my chest in a playful manor. "This must've costed a fortune!"