Chapter 11

It was January 1st, seven days after Christmas, one day after my birthday. I turned thirty six yesterday and I don't know how I feel about that exactly. A mixture of dread and excitement.

  I was in New York with Luke for the weekend. He had played Dick's New Years Rockin' Eve last night along with fellow country artist, Carrie Underwood. The boys had begged Luke to allow them to stay home and not go. Luke had wanted them to come along, but the more they persisted, the more he eased up. Eventually he agreed, and allowed them to stay back. I was originally going to stay back as well, but Luke insisted I travel to the big apple with him. He had said he'd like to get to know me and that my birthday was over that weekend meaning I deserved a break.

"Caroline, what are your plans for this evening?" Luke asked as he walked into the room.

I was sitting on the sofa watching The Bold and The Beautiful. I looked up at him and shook my head. Well, I mean there were countless things I could do in New York, but:

A: I didn't have the money.
B: There was no one to do things with. I'm sure Luke was more than likely busy with work things.

"Nothing that I can think of, why?" I said as Luke plopped down onto the sofa, taking a seat next to me.

"Oh, well I was wondering if you'd maybe like to go out to dinner with me tonight. You didn't do much on your birthday and I thought I'd treat you to a nice meal, surrounded by the city lights and towering buildings."

"Dinner?" I asked.

"Dinner."

"Just dinner?"

"Just dinner." Luke chuckled.

I thought for a moment before settling upon a decision, making up my mind that a meal in the big city of New York sounded quite appeasing to me.

"You know, that actually sounds very lovely to say the least." I stated.

Luke cracked a smile, obviously pleased I had agreed. "Awesome, yah great. Hm, how about 6 o'clock? Does that work?"

I nodded. "Yes, it does. I know I'm not doing anything in the mean time so of course it will."

On the coffee table in front of us sat a stack of magazines. One was for Kay Jewelers. I reached out and grabbed it from the pile and began flipping through the pages. One page was slightly dog-eared and as I glanced over the page I realized it was a page of gorgeously crafted earrings. I stared in awe at a pair  of gold diamond drop and linear earrings in rhythm. They were 10 karats.

"Wow," I gasped.

"What?" Luke asked curiously, looking over my arm.

"Oh, just looking at how beautiful these are." I said, tracing my finger down to the price and I froze. "Never mind," I said, laughing. "They're way too expensive."

"I think my Mama would love these. Let me snap a picture real quick."

I slid the magazine towards Luke, turning it so he could see. He centered his phone over top of the magazine and snapped a picture of the earrings.

Luke sighed and stood up. "Well, I think I'm going to take a walk around New York."

"Alright, I'll be here."