Chapter 31

It's a choice, not a mistake.

Luke and I enjoyed our alone time together in Costa Rica. We spent those few days walloping in the waves and blistering in the sun. Not to mention, Jacoby's wedding was gorgeous. Luckily, the both of us were able to make it out of there without raising any suspicion, at least we think.

Right now Luke is Las Vegas with Dierks Bentley doing some things for the ACM Awards which are coming up in the next week or so. This year, Blake backed out and Luke's now hosting and Dierks is cohosting. Luke's very excited about that and I couldn't be more proud. Speaking of the ACMs, the other day Luke asked me to be his guest. I of course agreed, but I'm kind of nervous. We plan on announcing our relationship that night, but how will I be perceived by fellow country stars and fans? After all, I was his nanny before, still am, but now I'm also his girlfriend. They'll all probably think Luke knocked me up or something. On top of that, I also have to come up with the money for a decent dress that's fit for an award show! My goodness!

I sighed as I lugged an empty laundry basket into the laundry room. Setting it aside, I stopped and took in everything in the rooms. I smiled slyly as I glanced up at one of the cabinets. It was padlocked, meant only for Luke to get in it... and sometimes myself. The key was hidden behind the washing machine on a little crevice. I knew what was in that cabinet. Let's just say that this room had become Luke and I's little "hang out" room if you know what I mean.

The boys were sprawled out on the floor in the family room, occupying themselves in some way, shape, or form. LeClaire was coming over in a few to take them for the weekend.

"Hey bums, get up and go grab your bags. Your MeMaw will be here soon." I said, plopping myself down onto the sofa.

One by one, they popped up from the floor. Til shot me a look and laughed. "Us, bums? We're not the ones on the couch in sweats."

I rolled my eyes and made a mocking sound, grabbed a pillow and tossed it at him. "Oh hush Til, get movin' now." He just laughed and continued on his way.

LeClaire arrived sooner than expected and hauled the kids off. I decided to get up and get myself looking decent. Leah and I were going dress shopping later for the ACMs. I slipped into some white jeans and a blouse, simple enough. Checking my watch, I noticed I had a little while until Leah got here so I sat down. I wonder what Luke is doing? In a hasty decision, I pulled out my phone.

The call tone sounded for a bit until it picked up. "Luke, baby!" I said excitedly.

I heard a female giggle instead of Luke's voice. Right then my mouth went dry and my blood began to boil. I knew that laugh. Kelsie. What the hell was she doing there, answering Luke's phone?

"Luke's busy right now, but he'll take a message." She giggled again, an even higher pitched laugh and I was furious.

"Give the phone to Luke, dammit." I hissed.

"Hun, I don't know who this is but like I said, he's busy." She said coldly.

"Who the hell are you calling hun? You know exactly who this is, gosh darn it!" I yelled.

"He's busy, I can take a message but-" I heard the bus door close and the line went dead.

  My heart was pounding and I suddenly felt queasy. I chucked my phone across the couch and stood up, tears welling in my eyes. Bringing my hands to my head, I ran my fingers through my hair, frustrated. How could Luke do this to me, to us?

I eventually calmed myself down. Maybe it wasn't what I thought. It couldn't be, or could it? I pushed the thought to the back of my mind as I heard Leah pull up the drive, ready to go shopping with me. Luke could explain himself later. What he decides to do determines what I do. I retrieved my phone and shut it off, not wanting to deal with it at the moment.

  ::::

"What about this one? Too booby?" I asked, stepping out into the view of Leah. Leah rose and came to shadow over me as I looked in the mirror. I laughed as I tugged at the bottom of my short dress. "I don't know if I should be pulling it up or pulling it down!"

  Leah clicked her tongue on the roof of her mouth while shaking her head. "Yah no, we want to tease Luke a little, not the whole nation."

  I smiled slightly, not wanting to think about Luke at the moment. "You're right."

   Taking a break, I took my phone from my purse and turned it on for the first time in hours. The screen lit up and I noticed I had seven missed calls from Luke, four voicemails, and five text messages.

   Caroline, call me.

   Baby, it's not what you think.

   Please, let me explain.

   Nothing happened.

   I didn't even know she was here!

Shaking my head, I let Luke fall to the back of my priorities. I walked over to another rack against the wall and my eyes immediately landed on a gorgeous dress. It was a gold halter necked dress with a slit down the side. The dress was also showing a little side boob, but had a sheer piece of cloth in the middle to keep it classy. Immediately, I fell in love with it. Snatching it from the bar, I ran back to my dressing room to slip into it.

  "Leah, I think you're gonna like this one!" I yipped excitedly, tip toeing back into her gaze.

  Leah's eyes lit up and she smirked. "It's gorgeous and I think you're going to wow Luke. He's going to love slipping that off of you." She winked.

  I gulped and smiled softly, looking away from her and towards the mirror. My mind was consumed with bad thoughts. What if Luke was busy slipping clothes off of Kelsie right now and vice versa. My stomach curled at the thought.

  "Carol, what's wrong? What did he do?" Leah whispered, placing her hand gently on my arm.

  I turned so I was looking at her. Tears stung my eyes. "I-I think Luke cheated on me."