Chapter 18

You either fight for what you love,
or you lose it.
It's your choice.

:::::

Landon and I have been talking more and more with each other, catching up. It seemed like we had so many years and memories stacked against the wall the unhash to one another, but bit by bit we were becoming very close friends again. The one thing that I hadn't told him about just yet was that I was Luke Bryan's nanny. Not knowing exactly how he'd react had kept me from even slightly hinting towards it.

It was a Saturday and Luke had taken the boys bass fishing earlier this morning and weren't expected home until a little after one. Luke had given me leeway to do what I wanted, telling me that he was going to spend some much needed quality time with the kids. So, I made up a quick lunch of chicken salad and put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. On the counter I left a sticky note for Luke in a place where he would see it.

There's chicken salad in the blue tupperware container in the fridge. Just ask the kids if they want it on a bagel or bread. Serve it with some chips and a stalk of celery, which have already been precut and are in saran wrap on the bottom shelf.

~ Caroline

I finished up before plopping myself down onto the sofa and pulling out my cell phone. Scrolling through my contacts, I finally landed on Landon's and clicked on his name, the dial tone instantly began ringing in my ear.

"Hello?" Landon asked.

A smile formed across my face. "Landon, hey!"

  "Caroline? Oh hey, what's up?" He asked.

  I settled back in my seat a little bit more. "Oh nothing, I just wanted to see if you'd like to go somewhere."

"That sounds great actually," He enthused and I smiled. "Where would you like to go?"

I thought for a moment. "Well maybe we could grab a bite to eat, walk around?"

"Ah, well that sounds great. Can I pick you up?" He asked.

  I then gave him the address. We said our goodbyes and I got up to slip my shoes on. It wasn't too hard to get ready. I decided to stay in my jeans and a blouse. I just slipped a coat on since the weather was a bit chilly. Before I knew it, I heard Landon's truck pull up the driveway. I rushed outside to meet him, oddly excited.

"Landon, hey!" I exclaimed, giving him a hug.

"Nice place you have here." He turned a bit, facing west and pointed to the recently finished main house on Luke's land. He had yet to move into it. "And that beauty, wow."

I smiled softly. I still hadn't told him about being Luke Bryan's nanny. "Yah... so let's go!" I enthused.

He chuckled and helped me into the passenger seat before we drove off.

:::::

I was coming up to the house with the kids when I saw an unfamiliar red truck pull up my drive, spewing gravel. I told the kids to run ahead and head inside, they entered the house through the back. My paced slowed, but I kept walking to see what was going on. Eventually Caroline emerged into my view and the same guy I'd seen her with in that restaurant last week. My heart sunk, it had in fact been a date. I stopped in my tracks as I watched them hug. And what tore me apart was the smile on her face, wider than the ocean. It wasn't caused by me and a part of me wasn't okay with that.