Chapter 32

I didn't speak to Luke for a long several days. I'm almost positive the kids knew something was up because I hadn't been my usual self. Leah had tried to assure me that Luke wouldn't do that to me, but I just couldn't bring myself to be so sure. There was this burning feeling deep inside me telling my conscious that something had happened, but on the other hand, I couldn't imagine Luke doing that... not after all that him and I went through to be together. Ignoring his calls and numerous texts dejected me, but I felt as if he deserved it. Luke left tons of voicemails but I hadn't opened any one of them. On top of that, he's been so focused on work, I barely got to spend time with him. Even if we were in the same room, we weren't. It's like he'd been spaced out. I get that he's a busy man, but what about us?

  I knew I was being a little hard-headed over the whole matter, I hadn't even let Luke explain himself. In all honesty, this was because I was terrified. What if this knife in our relationship was only pushed farther into the wound because Luke had in fact cheated? Luke could even admit to a simple kiss and I think I'd be sick on the spot. I was afraid of commitment beforehand, now, now I wasn't sure where I stood. I wasn't even necessarily mad at Luke, I was just terrified of losing him. I'd become attached to him and his family and I'm not sure where I'd turn if that was the case.

:::

I tried reaching out to Caroline several times this week. None of those attempts succeeded. They always ended up with unanswered text messages and unreturned phone calls. It quite honestly worried me. What she thought happened certainly wasn't the case whatsoever. Kelsie was already on my bus when I got there. We began talking and I wondered what she could possibly want. Honestly, I was fuming when I saw her. Before we talked, Mark called me outside to show me something. Kelsie was left alone inside for a while and when I reentered the bus, I saw her quickly put my phone down. Low and behold, Caroline was listed under recents.

I needed to go home now, and that's exactly what I was doing. I cut the ACM trip short a day or two so I could fix this dagum mess. The academy wasn't happy about me leaving to fly home early, but that's their issue.

Right now I was sitting down, awaiting to board my flight. I kept my hat down low, trying to avoid as much attention as possible. It didn't really work though because I noticed two women about Caroline's age exchanging whispers, glancing my way. Bless my fans, I truly am grateful for them, but goodness, can't a guy just have some privacy? This is why I needed my own plane to tote me around. Just as expected, the two women slowly made their way over to me. I put on a fake smile and snapped a few pictures with them as requested.

:::

I sighed heavily as I treaded my feet into the kitchen. I was physically as well as emotionally drained from today. The digital clock on the stove changed times, striking 10:30 pm. I'd woken up and remembered I needed to pull out a paper I'd signed for Bo awhile back that he'd need for tomorrow. If I didn't pull it out of the drawer now, I'd forget all about it. I shuffled through the contents of the drawer and found the blue document. When I picked it up, it revealed a small envelope addressed to me. I slowly sat Bo's paper on the counter and grabbed the envelope. Tearing it open, I slid the contents out. It was a letter.

  Caroline,

Where to even begin? I am writing to you today to remind you of how much I love you. I know we aren't in the best of terms right now, but this needed to be said. I sent this to Leah and told her to place it in this exact drawer. I knew you'd find it eventually, and if you're reading this, I know you have. Bare with me.

Temporarily YoursOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara