Chapter 8

A few days have passed since Luke and I's blowup. I've tried to avoid him at all cost, not wanting to fuel the fire any more than I already have. Kelsie has been MIA lately too which seems to have Luke fretting, which I don't blame him. My heart hurts, it aches because I can't help feeling that I caused all of this to happen. Which in turn, led Luke to be kind of sad as well as angry at me. This is why I should have never played football in the first place. I should have efused the offer and tried not to succomb to Luke's beckoning calss and slight touch as he dragged me into the yard.

      It was a Tuesday and the kids were at school so it was just Luke and I. He hadn't been going into the studio lately either which concerned me the most. The Luke I knew wasn't the Luke I know now. Trying to stay away from him has been my priority these last few days, but he was really concerning me with how he was acting. I needed to find him and sit down and have a conversation with him, see if I can crack his stubborn ass shell and get him to open up.

      Searching for Luke wasn't hard. I found him sitting on the couch. And that's all he was doing. He just simply sat there, desolate and seeming deep in thought. It's as if his soul had left his body all together. It honestly put chills on my skin seeing him like that. I was used to him being all happy-go-lucky and joyous, not sad and far away. I sighed and went to take a seat next to him.

      "Hey, Luke." I said.

       He stared straight ahead, slumped back on the couch. "Hey."

       His answer was rather aloof, causing me to be even more apprehensive about the situation and what was bothering Luke so much. I had a feeling that is had something to do with me, but I needed to confirm that with him and quit being such a worrywart.

     I exhaled lightly. "I know we may not be on the best of terms, and I completely understand why, but you've been worrying me lately and I just want you to know that I'm always here if you need someone to talk to."

     Luke just simply nodded slightly and sat silently for a moment. Luke sniffled and I jerked my head in his direction, he was crying. My heart shattered seeing him so weak. Luke took the laptop next to him and sat it on his lap, opening it up. A web page from People Magazine was already open and I read the title right away.

Luke Bryan's Girlfriend Caught Cheating
  Country superstar, Luke Bryan, has supposedly been involved with Kelsie Mayes, an upcoming country artist herself, for the past month. She was reportedly spotted outside the Etch Restaurant in Nashville, Tennessee on Thursday kissing a man who is not Luke Bryan. We have no word on if Bryan and Mayes are still together. We're sure that the hip-shaking hit maker will break it off with Kelsie sooner or later, right? 

    Below the article was a picture of in fact, Kelsie, and the other mystery man. Oh, poor Luke. I glanced at Luke, taking in his broken image. He had dark bags under his eyes, indicating restless nights and no sleep. His scruff, unkept and grey; poor self care. His eyes were bloodshot, making it obvious that he had been crying when he was alone.

     I opened my arms when he looked at me. "Come here."

     Surprisingly, Luke graciously accepted my offer of a hug. I wrapped my arms around him, and he wrapped his around me, squeezing slightly. I know I shouldn't have, but I enjoyed this. We sat there for a good minute or so, just hugging.

     I mumbled into his chest. "Luke, I-I'm so sorry," My voice became hoarse. "I didn't mean to cause this, I didn't intend for any of this to happened."

    "I know. It's not your fault." He whispered.

     Pulling back from the hug, he looked me in the eyes. "Don't feel bad, it isn't your fault and never has been. Kelsie made her own decision, it's her own damn fault."

     I sighed. "I still feel like it."

     He patted my knee. "Don't, okay? She wasn't right for me anyways. I saw it, my family saw it, and I'm sure even you saw it. There's someone out there waiting for me, who's my soulmate, someone who accepts me for me and doesn't just want my money. Someone who loves my kids and wants to travel the country and maybe even the world with me. Someone who will be there with me every step of the way."

   There is. She's sitting right next to you. Please, open your eyes, I don't know how much longer I can do this.

     "Yah, I'm positive there is." I stated, smiling only slightly.

      "Really?" He asked.

       I nodded. "Really." I'm sitting right next to you.

        Luke grinned. She's sitting right next to me.