Chapter 19

"After a while you just want to be with the one who makes you laugh."
~Mr. Big

:::::

"Dad, why can't I just go play now?" Bo whined, dragging his pencil lightly across his paper in boredom.

I lowered the newspaper I had open in my hands so I could see Bo. "Because, homework always comes before playing, you know that. How many more problems do you have left to do?"

Bo fell silent and checked over his work. "Only a few."

"See," I said, returning to scanning over the paper. "You'll be done in no time."

  I turned my head in time to see Caroline strutting down the stairs. She was going somewhere again and I had no doubt in my mind that it wasn't somewhere where she wouldn't be accompanied by this mystery guy she's been flinging herself at. Who was this guy and how come he could steal Caroline away from me with such ease?

"Where are you going?" I asked politely as she walked passed me, a bounce in her step.

She slung her purse over her shoulder. "I'm going out with a friend, why? Do you need me here for the boys or something?"

I folded the paper up and tossed it onto the coffee table. "No, no, no. I was just wondering. What's your friend's name?"

She smiled. "Landon Christopher, now I've got to go. See you later, I won't be long." She said before slipping out the door.

As soon as I was sure she was gone, I pulled out my phone from my pocket and began looking up this Landon Christopher guy. I cringed as pictures popped up, he was a very good looking guy. I kept scrolling. Turns out, Landon Christopher was actually Dr. Christopher. He owned a small practice in downtown Franklin with his father. He was born in nonetheless, Sandersville, Georgia, where Caroline grew up. Landon went to Texas A&M and soon moved to Franklin after his Dad asked him to coown the business with him. You can learn a lot about a guy om the internet.

:::::

"So there's something I've been meaning to tell you." I said cautiously to Landon.

He looked up from his meatball sub and set it down on the parchment paper. "Yes?"

I sighed. "So I'm a nanny."

He smiled. "That's cool."

"Except I'm not just any nanny... I'm Luke Bryan's kids' nanny." I spoke shakily, looking him in the eyes.

His smile fell through the floor, replaced with a frown. "How am I supposed to compete with him?"

I shot him a confused look. "Landon, what do you mean?"

He smiled softly. "Caroline, you're a gorgeous woman, how could the Luke Bryan not notice that. And I like you a lot..."

I blushed. "I like you too, but Landon, Luke has no interest in me. Like you said, he's the Luke Bryan. I figured out that he didn't feel anything for me a long time ago." I chuckled, writhing the paper napkin I had in my hands under the table.

Landon and I finished our lunch before heading back to his truck. He followed me to the passenger side and just stared at me.