Chapter 14

It's the little things in life
:::::

When I arrived home late last night, the sun had been replaced by the indigo of the night sky, the horizon speckled with dazzling stars. The crickets sang their song so loud that it could be heard from inside, chirp after chirp. I found the lights in all of the rooms were switched off except for a lamp in the family by the front door. It was left on, shining a light against the doorway as if Caroline was expecting my arrival at some point. I'd gone and checked on the boys in their rooms to find them all sleeping peacefully. And then I decided to check on Caroline. I had no idea why, I just felt like I should. As I opened her door, I didn't find her sound asleep in her bed. Rather, her bathroom door was cracked open enough allowing a sliver of light to shadow on the floor.

"Leah, I don't know what to do. I told him I love him and I don't think he feels the same." She had said into what I'm guessing was her phone.

Caroline became quiet for a moment and then I heard it. She sniffled and I could tell she was crying. My heart broke in two.

Today was a new day. I got ready for the day and came downstairs to find my mug filled to the brim with piping hot coffee and a spoonful of creamer, just the way I like it. Next to it sat the daily newspaper that I read every morning while I sipped my coffee. I sat down at the kitchen island just as Caroline came zooming into the kitchen, holding Bo and Tate's backpacks. She set them on the counter before pulling out a Spiderman lunchbox from each bag.

She groaned before yelling. "Bo, Tate, Til, hurry your butts up! Y'all are gonna be late!"

Caroline fixed up quick lunches and placed them in the lunch boxes before stuffing them back into the backpacks and zipping them up. The kids came thundering in the kitchen, filing behind one another.

"Daddy!" Bo and Tate squealed.

  I stood up and hugged them both. "Hey guys I missed you!"

  "Hey Uncle Luke, I see you're back. Can we go fishing tomorrow by any chance?" Til asked.

  I shrugged. "I don't know, I'll see. No promises though."

Caroline dug into her purse that was hanging on the island bar stool and fished out a few dollar bills before handing them to Til for his lunch. It was then that I noticed she was still in the sweats and tshirt she had slept in. She didn't have makeup on and her hair was in a messy bun, yet she still looked gorgeous, managing to take my breath away. I stared at her, looking her up and down, biting my lip every so often. Then I felt a nudge in my arm and looked to see Til smirking.

"Quit starin' Uncle Luke. She's gonna catch you one of these times." Til said.

He walked towards the front door and I shot him a glare. "What do you mean one of these times?"

He smirked. "Don't act like you don't do it all the time."

I felt my cheeks burn red and I just eyeballed him. Caroline ushered Bo and Tate towards the door as quickly as she could.

  "Do what all the time?" She asked.

  Til and I spoke in unison. "Nothing."

  Soon Caroline arrived back home and changed into some clothes. And some rather... nice clothes too. She wore tight jeans that fit her curves perfectly and a flannel button up with a tank top underneath. Lets just say she left one too many buttons undone, enough so that I could just see her cleavage. I enjoyed watching her prance around the house in that outfit, cleaning and doing things. But in the end, she avoided me at all costs. She didn't even speak one word to me, and I didn't dare try to talk to her either. All I could think about was how I made love to her once.