Chapter 12

When love stares you in the face, make sure you aren't blinded by fear and pain from the past. Get the healing you'll need so that you will be able to embrace what you deserve.

::::

It was a new day, the sound of car horns beeping madly and the buzzing of sirens awoke me from my slumber. I hadn't slept much at all last night anyways, my mind kept whirring with reminiscence of the hours I had spent with Luke before hand. His words that he had spoken kept circling in my head, repeating themselves over and over again. But I'm falling completely in love with the amazing woman in front of me and I don't know how I feel about that. I don't know if I'm ready. He'd finally said the words I had been longing to hear for these past months, the ones I so badly wished would come from his mouth. Luke had fallen for me and admitted it, too. Yet he wasn't ready. I knew what was holding him back too.

As I got ready for the day, I expected for Luke to come over like he had done each and every morning we had been in New York. Yet, he didn't, which was odd. I figured it was because of last night, that is, until I found a plane ticket and a note on the coffee table. A ton of thoughts raced through my mind, but I pushed them away, not wanting to jump the gun. I picked up the note and read it.

Dear Caroline,

By the time you've read this, I'll have already up and left New York. I couldn't stand flying home with you. I've tossed and turned all night, thinking about the things that were said between us. I care about you darlin', I truly do, I just can't seem to move past Chelsea. Kerri will be waiting at the airport to fly back to Tennessee with you. When you arrive home, don't be alarmed when you don't find me there to greet you. Although, my Mama will be there with the kiddos. I'm not gonna tell you where I've gone, but just know that I'm okay. I just need some time away to sit and think.

Love, Luke

I wiped away the single tear that was sliding down my cheeks away. He had signed it with Love, Luke. Not from or sincerely, or even see you soon, but love. My mind flashed back to college. Seeing the ticket and knowing how Luke had left me, myself unknowing, reminded me of that October 28th night that shall forever be burned in my mind. It reminded me of how he had left too.

"Cady, do you remember him?" I asked, clutching the shirt he'd left.

Cady yawned shook her head. My heart sunk. "No, sorry Carol, I don't. I was too drunk last night to remember my own name."

I sighed and clutched the shirt even tighter to my chest. It was a simple red t-shirt with an eagle on it. His intoxicating cologne could be smelt on it as well. I could vividly remember him slipping it slowly over his head and tossing it to the side.

"Hey Carol," Cady said, smirking. "Tell me, was this mystery guy at least, ya know, good?"

I scoffed. "I wouldn't know, he's the only guy I've ever been with."

Cady rolled her eyes. "Cmon', it's obvious to tell wether or not a guy knows what he's doing."

I sheepishly smiled and shrugged. "Okay, I guess he was. Cady he was so loving and took things slow, like he actually cared. Hell we were drunk, but it was amazing."

She laughed. "Damn, my girl got lucky. Too bad he left."

I sighed. "Yah, too bad."

A knock at the door jolted me from my thoughts. I stuffed the note into my jean pocket and quickly went to open the door. When I did, I found Kerri waiting patiently with her bags.

"Hey, Caroline. You ready?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yes, just let me grab my things."

I hadn't really taken anything out of my suitcase these last few days. I basically have been living out of my suitcase so I just zipped it up and left.

:::

Most of the plane ride back to Tennessee was silent, not many words were spoken between Kerri and I except a short conversation here and there.

"Hey Kerri, can I ask you something?" I asked.

Kerri turned away from looking out the window and nodded. "Of course."

"How close are you and Luke?"

"Well, he tells me a lot, actually."

I just nodded and glanced at my hands.

"He's told me a lot about his past and what not for some reason. He told me about this girl from college this one time. I remember it was right before the release of Tailgates and Tanlines. I can remember him specifically telling me about a girl he had fallen for but never got back in touch with her. She'd never called him back after one night. Luke had said the song Too Damn Young was basically a story about that."

I remained quiet.

He talks about you a lot, you know." She whispered.

I jolted my head up and looked at her. "He does?"

Kerri resituated herself in her seat and turned on an angle so she was facing me. "Yes, and he cares about you hon. He likes you, a lot, and talks about you all the time it's quite ridiculous. I'd say he's fallen for you. Yet Luke's so stubborn that he believes Chelsea wouldn't want him to find love again so he'll never truly come to you. You have to go to him."

I just nodded and sat back in my seat, pondering her words. The song Too Damn Young came to my mind so I pulled my earbuds out and plugged them into my phone before opening Youtube. I searched up the song and began to listen to the lyrics. One lyric in particular stuck out to me.

The fog rolled in, she said "I better go"
She took my t-shirt and wore it home
A memory, a souvenir she could keep.

That morning Luke had left me in college was foggy, I could remember that vividly. Luke remembered, maybe not me, but that night. I was the girl he had fallen for in college. I was the girl who never called him back. I was the girl.

I need at least 10 comments to update!🙂