six

after getting home from work and taking a four hour long nap, i head toward jack johnson's house to yell at him. for some reason, i'm infuriated with him because he applied where i work, behind my back.

the drive isn't long and there's soft music playing in the background. i feel like sleep is going to take over me again and i need to succumb from this car. i turn on the road to his house and spot it down the street. it's going down.

i park my car in johnson's driveway and then stomp my way up to the front door. without knocking, i burst into his house. he is my best friend, so this isn't weird. he sits using his laptop and eating.

"hey! i didn't know you were coming today." he smiles to me as a greeting.

"you applied at my work?" i slam the door and cross my arms over my chest.

"yes, i did." he replies with a mouth full of food.

"what the hell were you thinking?" i flail my arms in the air to emphasize the situation.

"i'm sorry. i'm starting to see you rolling in cash and i wanted in on whatever you're doing." johnson tells me, leaning on the back of his chair.

"he only needs one assistant and that's me. you applied for accounting and finance. you have absolutely no experience in that category!" i tell him, practically shouting. "you didn't major in that."

"um, once in fifth grade i wanted to become a banker." he says in a as a matter-of-fact tone, holding his index finger up.

i roll my eyes at him, taking a seat, "he told me to review your job application and say whether or not you should get the job."

"he as in who?"

he is so clueless. who else does the hiring!

"jack gilinsky." i answer.

his eyes widen marginally, "get me the damn job!" he exclaims.

"you applied behind my back! you should've told me."

"i know, i know and i am truly sorry." he apologizes, but i can tell that he is half joking.

my eyes narrow at him and i ball my fists. he takes notice at my slight anger and dashes right into his room. i spring up from my chair and run after him. i chase him and slip into his bedroom before he can close the door.

"kehlani, please, no, i'm sorry. don't hurt me!" he screams like a little girl which makes me fall down to the floor in laughter.

"your scream!" i say in between laughs.

"shut up!" he mutters. "does that mean i'm getting the job?

"not necessarily." i say.

"please, k." he begs. "i will do anything. i need this job. i hate working as a cashier and dreams don't pay bills." he whines.

"you think that, but you'll fulfill your dreams soon, bud." i stand up and ruffle his hair.

johnson glares at me like a child, "get me the job." he demands through gritted teeth.

"or else what?" my eyebrows raise.

he prances and grabs my arms, tackling me on the bed. i fight back and try to push him off. he tickles my sides, making me squeal. if someone were to walk in right now, they would think we're immature.

"get me the job, peasant!" he shouts, continuing to tickle me.

laughter erupts from within me and i try shaking him off, but i don't tell him to stop. from experience, i have learned that by saying that, the person will just continue on their act.

he finally ceases the tickling and gets off of me, holding his hand out for me to grab and i slap his hand and then grab it.

"what a fucking gentleman." i seethe and he smiles.

he abruptly pulls me up from the bed and i swear that my arm was going to break off. i shake him off, walking out of his bedroom and he follows behind me.

"let's watch movies and eat popcorn." i suggest.

"kingsman?" he grins and i rapidly nod my head.

"i'll make the popcorn." he says the same time i say, "you make the popcorn."

"put extra butter, but not to the point where my arteries will get clogged. also, add salt." i instruct him. "bland popcorn is the worst."

"yes, mom. i already know this." he mutters, brushing me off to go in the kitchen. "go grab the kingsman disc in my room and put it in my laptop." he tells me.

why do i feel like an assistant here all of a sudden? i do what he asks me to do and pause the movie until johnson finishes making the popcorn. i hear the popcorn popping from inside of the microwave and i going the kitchen where he is.

"you're gonna fall asleep during the movie, watch." i point an accusing finger at him.

he puts his hands up, "i swear that i will not."

"sure." i narrow my eyes at him. "you always say that."

"this time, it's true." he reassures me. how is your job, by the way? do you like it?" j asks while taking out the salt.

"after an entire month you ask me?" my eyes droop at him. "recently, he started calling me kayla, which was better than nothing. for the entire month, he would call me miss." i mock and mimic him. "most annoying thing ever."

"kehlani, i asked if you liked your job. not what he calls you." he reminds me and i roll my eyes.

"it's alright." i shrug. "it's easy."

"and well paying."

"well yeah, i'm his personal assistant. i fulfill his needs on a daily basis." i inform him.

"so you're a maid?" he raises an eyebrow.

my eyebrows pull together in a pulled expression, "i don't clean his office, j. i bring files back and forth, and fetch him food, and run errands, and whatever he needs."

geez, i sound like i'm whipped.

"so you're an office wife, then?"

"stop!" i laugh. "honestly, if i wasn't his pa, he probably wouldn't have one." i snort.

the microwave bings and johnson goes to retrieve the warm bag of popcorn. he dumps it into a bowl, putting salt and butter on top of it. i make my way back to where his laptop is and bring it over to the couch.

"sit by me, pal." i sarcastically say, patting the spot next to me.

"you're holding the popcorn, i'm holding the laptop." he tells me and i nod.

"okay, whatever." i hand him his laptop as he gives me the bowl. "we should've invited reagan."

"how would i have known?" johnson lamely responds. "you coming here was a surprise to me. maybe if i had an advanced notice, she would be here watching with us."

"sorry!" i mutter, shoving popcorn into my mouth as he plays the movie.

an hour zooms by quickly and i check the time from the clock on the wall. 7:30 pm. johnson's head is on my shoulder and he's snoring softly. i want to take a picture, but i don't want to wake him up by moving.

i feel like i'm forgetting something, but i have no homework or anything to do for work. then, it hit me like a ton of bricks. fuck, i was supposed to meet jack to play basketball. what if he gets mad at me for standing him up?

{vote, comment, share}

i need to clarify that johnson and nate are friends, also gilinsky and sam are friends. but johnson doesn't know gilinsky or sam. for future reference.