ten

jack's pov

it literally feels like i've been standing here for ten years, just watching kehlani's shocked expression. i'm not afraid of her answer, i'll just be embarrassed if she says no. who would say no to me?

say yes, so i can have you in my bed again. for real this time.

she gives me a forced smile, "can we talk, alone?" she asks and i nod.

she steps outside to me, closing the door behind her. her face suddenly turns serious.

"what the hell are you doing?" she asks through gritted teeth and my eyes widen.

"asking you out on a date? wow, it's true. the pretty ones are the most clueless ones."

"that's inappropriate and unprofessional." she tells me.

i'm well aware of that, but i don't really care. if she doesn't want me after another week, i'll just make alexa, my secretary, my new target. kehlani speaks up, making me snap back to our conversation.

kehlani's pov

"why are you suddenly asking me?" i ask.

i've been trying to avoid jack as much as i can, but it's hard and it's only been one day. i am his personal assistant. we just got a little too personal last night.

"i'm sorry." i shake my head. "i mean, i would, but it's just not right for me to be going out on a date with my boss." i purse my lips, spilling the truth.

i want his mouth on me again, though. my thoughts keep turning and flipping around with each passing second. jack's eyebrows lower in disappointment as he fully interprets and absorbs my words.

"i'm sorry."

"you don't have to apologize." his tone is suddenly cold.

my eyes widen and i'm taken aback. not sure why he'd even want to go out with me in the first place. if we ever became a thing, people would think i got the job because i slept with him.

"i'll see you monday morning." he grumbles, running his hand through his hair and turning around to his car.

sighing because i don't know whats up his ass, i go back inside and the door literally smashes reagan in the face, making me hysterically laugh.

"were you listening?" i shout.

she nods, holding her forehead, "your boss asked you out. i want sam wilkinson to ask me out. that's if i do end up working for him."

i shrug, "i turned him down." i say, referring to jack just a moment ago.

her eyes widen and she frowns, "what the hell, k. why? you haven't had dick in so long."

"shut up." i laugh. "it would be weird if i went out with my boss."

realistically, i regret saying no now, but it's the right choice. going out with him could risk my job in the future and that's not what i want. i'd rather deal with a very grumpy jack everyday than be jobless.

the front door opens, startling me and johnson strolls in looking as confused as ever.

"why is my future boss sitting in his car in the parking?" johnson asks me and my eyebrows raise.

"he's still here?" i ask and he nods his head.

i huff, slipping on my shoes and heading outside. johnson and reagan both follow me out and i don't really care at this point. i peek inside of his very tinted sports car and his phone his shining up at him. i knock on the glass window and he rolls his down.

"what?" he asks.

"what do you mean what?" i mock. "why are you still here."

"i'm figuring out where to go for lunch. calm down, you're not that special. i'm not here waiting for you." he snaps, making johnson stifle a laugh.

i elbow his ribs and he coughs uncomfortably and in pain. jack's old ways are back. he's an asshole all over again. just because i said no to his offer. not saying anything, i turn back to go inside and only reagan follows me. i assume that j is trying to get the job.

"he annoys me so much." i scoff, rolling my eyes to be dramatic.

"then quit." reagan tells me as if it were the simplest thing.

"i have to make a living." i tell her, shrugging my shoulders.

"come apply at wilkinson's with me." she says and i shake my head.

"no way."

"but that's gonna be weird going back to work. you turned him down and he's going to be so distant."

"i know." i sigh. "but it was for the better. me rejecting him."

i should be the one honestly scared of him rejecting me, but he asked me first, surprising the hell out of me. i walk towards my kitchen, finding something to drink in the fridge. being underaged, i have nothing alcoholic to drown myself in.

"you sure you're okay with going back to work with him?" reagan asks, wanting reassurance and i'm about to yell at her at any given moment.

"i'll be fine, reagan." i breathe, taking out a water bottle and practically snatching the cap off.

what's the worst he could even do besides fire me?

{vote, comment, share}