seven

i intake a sharp breath before making my way into mr. gilinsky's office. he's typing away at his computer, probably working on some files. i speak up, hoping that he'll hear me out or even just listen.

"hey, i'm sorry for yesterday. i didn't mean to-"

"i'm busy, kehlani." he mutters through gritted teeth, not daring to look away from his screen.

"i just wanted to apologize-" i stammer, getting angry because he cut me off.

"i said, i'm busy. don't talk." he quiets me.

i ball my fists, "listen to me!" i basically shout. "i'm sorry for not showing up! i went to my friend johnson's house and i lost track of time."

he stops talking and just glares at me, "one, don't use that tone with me and two, johnson?"

i nod, "jack johnson. the one who applied to be an accountant."

"then, i guess i won't hire him. the last thing i need is for you to get all distracted." he mutters, rubbing his chin.

"no, no, no, please hire him." i beg.

after thinking a whole lot last night, i should help johnson get this job because he's done so much for me. i wanted to repay him.

"i'll come over to play basketball tonight." i add, trying to persuade him.

"you had your chance." jack tells me, turning back to his screen.

now he's back to his mean ceo self. it's either he's mad at me, or just completely stressed out. i'm one hundred percent sure that he's mad at me, though. i quietly sigh, hanging my bag on the coat rack. i then take a seat in the chair i sit in everyday.

"want some coffee?" i offer, trying to spark a conversation or perhaps lighten him up.

"i've already gotten myself a cup." he mumbles in response.

"jack." i softly say and his eyes shoot daggers at me. "mr. gilinsky, i mean." i correct myself. "do you need me to do anything?"

he shakes his head, "everything's been taken care of."

maybe he wants me to leave him alone? where would i even go. if i were to step foot out of this room, he'd fire me in an instant. i just want him to hire my best friend at this point.

"is everything okay?" i bravely ask, knowing that everything's not okay.

"yes, fine. i'm just busy." he shrugs me off and a feeling of sadness runs over me.

i don't want him to become closed off all over again. he was just becoming playful and everything.

*

i calm my nerves before ringing the bell on the huge double doors which are the entrance to jack gilinsky's mansion. if a few seconds, the door is opened by an older women. she's wear maid attire, so she couldn't possibly be a girlfriend.

she looks at me with a puzzled look, "ma'am?"

"is mr. gilinsky here?" i ask.

soon, i here more footsteps. jack comes to view, placing a hand on the maids shoulder, signaling her that she can leave. i scan his almost six foot figure. he's dressed so casual, it's nothing that i'm used to seeing on him.

"kehlani? can i help you?" he asks me, making my eyes move up from his t-shirt and joggers.

"wanna play some basketball?" i ask.

i didn't dress sporty for nothing.

his eyebrows furrow together. oh no, that's not good.

"why?" he bluntly asks.

"i don't know. thought maybe you'd want to play. plus, i'm trying to redeem myself for last night. i'm truly sorry."

jack runs a hand through his hair, sighing as he opens the door wider for me to come inside. i gape inside of the giant home that's just for this one man. i wonder if he ever gets lonely.

shaking off the thought, i follow him inside and he leads me out to the back. it's gigantic. he leads me toward the court and there's a metal shelf, holding various basketballs. even a pink one. i place my hand on it, wanting to use it.

"it's for when my sisters come over." his deep voice speaks, making me pull my hand away from it immediately.

i purse my lips and nod my head. i watch as he grabs the pink ball. so i guess we are playing with that one. he spins it on his pointer finger.

"first to twenty one?" jack asks.

"sure, but i'm going to beat you. just a fair warning." i tell him and he grins.

seems like he isn't mad anymore. he bounces the ball toward me and grabs his shirt by the neck, pulling it off. my eyes widen and i turn so that my back is facing him. he chuckles.

"i'm playing shirtless because i'm going to sweat a lot." he informs me and i nod. "i won't mind if you just want to wear your sports bra." he tells me and my eyes widen even more.

i think i'm good in my tank top for now. i start to dribble the ball, waiting for him. he disappears into the house and returns shortly with two plastic water bottles. jack hands one to me.

"thank you."

i set it on the outdoor table and return back on the court.

"let's start." he says and i pass the ball to him.

fuck, i don't know how i'm going to win because he's very quick and is way bigger than me. i fall back as his built body hits mine, but he grabs my wrist, just in time before i land on my back completely. he misses the hoop entirely.

he yanks me up so i'm face to face with him. he raises an eyebrow.

"are you sure you want to play? i'm competitive and i feel like it's dangerous to be playing with you." jack says.

am i supposed to be offended. we literally just started.

i shrug, "what else would we play?"

"foosball, pool, something less physical or more physical." he suggests and shrugs.

i almost choke on my saliva when i hear him say something more physical. i'm just dirty minded. he finally lets go of my wrist and i back up so there's at least more than six inches between us.

jack's eyes bore into mine for what feels like forever and his eyes then flick toward my lips, but back up to my eyes quickly. i feel his left hand press against my lower back and his right hand grip my hip.

this feels so wrong, but i want something to happen. he moves in closer toward me and begins to lean in. panicking, my eyes widen and i put my hand on his chest.

"i-i'm sorry, i just don't want things to be awkward in the office." i truthfully sigh.

"who cares? let it be awkward in the office." he replies, smashing his lips against mine.

{vote, comment, share}