twenty eight

"what the hell are you doing here?" blake automatically says and my eyebrows pull together.

whoa, what? his tone caught me off guard and was super uncalled for. he's suddenly snapping at his boss.

"i could ask you the same thing." jack replies, standing up straighter.

"calm down, man." johnson says, chiming into the conversation and i'm thankful for that.

"no." blake raises his voice. "he fired me for no absolute reason."

"you were sneaking around with her!" jack says and my eyes widen.

"oh, is that not what you're doing?" blake scoffs.

"i couldn't keep you around after breaking the rules many times." jack confesses and i'm taken aback.

all of this news is just hitting me.

"wait, you fired blake?" i narrow my eyes and seethe at jack. "what for?"

"employees can't date other employees. i've told you this." he answers.

i don't necessarily agree with his stupid rule.

"but you pretty much helped us out considering you fired me. we aren't coworkers anymore." blake blankly says and reagan, sam, nate, and his girlfriend are all just watching what's going on.

but just the other day... jack told me to watch my back because of my 'sneaking around with blake'. then again, this may be the reason why i haven't run into blake at the company building.

"you didn't know i got fired?" blake snorts and i shake my head.

"you never told me." i gently reply, afraid that he's going to explode again.

"i figured at he would've told you." he gestures toward jack. "he might've not because maybe, just maybe, he didn't want to seem like the bad guy."

"well, he didn't." i throw my hands up, shaking my head.

"we don't need this drama. who even are you?" nate's girlfriend speaks up.

now is not the time for her to join into the conversation. she's the most irrelevant one right now.

"he's my boss. as well as olivia's and kehlani's." johnson explains and nate chokes on his water, gaping at me.

oh no.

"you're fucking your boss?" he asks me. "you should've told me at the mall. you told me you didn't have a boyfriend."

"that's true, i don't have a boyfriend." i say, trying to clear things up.

"so you're just using your boss for sex?"

nate, stop talking.

"oh my god." reagan and olivia say at the same time.

"hey now, jack isn't the bad guy here. everything's just a mess at the moment." sam says.

"i don't need this right now." jack says, like the drama queen he is.

he storms out of the apartment, leaving us all dumbfounded. sam let's out a loud sigh, going after him, as well as nate. nate's girlfriend also follows along with him.

"great, now we're all going to get fired. possibly even reagan." johnson panics. "i just got this job, too!"

"join the club." blake mutters, tilting his head back to gulp his beer.

"no ones going to get fired." i snap.

i decide not to follow jack because maybe he's mad now. i should be the one mad! i just found out about everything, but jack is making this revolve around him. news flash, it doesn't.

i walk into the kitchen and fling the fridge door open, looking for any type of alcohol. seems like everyone is drinking their problems away.

"don't drink your anger away." i hear reagan say.

"wanna explain to me what the hell just happened?" i ask, leaning against the counter.

she shrugs, stepping into the kitchen more, "i honestly don't know what happened myself."

i shake my head, grabbing a water bottle instead. i return back into the living room where johnson and olivia are on their phones.

"where'd blake go?" i ask.

"bathroom." johnson responds and i huff.

i walk toward the shut bathroom door and knock on it softly. i know he isn't in there peeing or anything, he's just pissed off.

"blake..." i softly say. "i didn't know he fired you and i didn't know you were here. if i did, i obviously wouldn't have brought him along.

the door suddenly swings opens and blake narrows his eyes on me. i gulp as his stare intensifies and starts to bore into me. that's not good.

"why did you bring him along in the first place?" he asks. "have you guys been sneaking around?"

"well... um..." i stutter.

"oh my god." he gapes. "for how long? were you trying to get with both of us at the same time?"

"no! i was not trying to do that." i clarify.

would it even be bad if i told blake i'm sleeping with jack? it's not illegal... it's just weird. he might start a rumor like 'that's how you got the job' or 'that's why she makes more money than everyone else'.

the last thing i need is for rumors about me to spread around. alexa would never shut up about them if she heard about those.

blakes eyebrows raise and he scoffs, "i really thought you were different, kehlani, but what do i know? we've only talked a few times."

he shoves past me and i'm there standing all alone and stupid. ouch. that really hit home. two guys walked out on me today adding insult to injury. i sigh and walk back toward the living room.

i fall back on the couch, completely giving up. what the hell am i supposed to do now? i don't even know if i still have a job myself. i didn't even do anything wrong to jack.

"they both just need some time." johnson reassures me, referring to jack and blake.

i give him a small smile, "i know and i promise you won't lose your job."

"just... why didn't you tell me that you were sleeping with our boss?" he interrogates, tilting his head to the side a little.

"it was recent." i tell him.

i'm not really lying because it's true. jack and i are recent. i can't imagine how blake and olivia think about me now. they probably think i'm an attention seeker. alexa's words may becoming true.

{vote, comment, share}