Chapter 3 ~ You're The Only Thing On My Mind

Roman could tell his best friend was hurting. The way Dean constantly talked about Seth was all of the proof he needed. 

He was on his way to Dean's apartment since he was invited over. Dean sounded congested on the phone and he kept stammering over the simplest of words, which is why Roman hurried along, worried about his heartbroken friend. 

Once he arrived, he knocked on the door, hearing shuffling from inside. A sweaty Dean appeared on the other side, waving Roman in. The Samoan entered, taking in his environment. 

"Thanks for coming, buddy," Dean greeted, bending over to set his hands on his knees as he panted heavily. "Give me a minute." 

"You alright?" Roman questioned, putting a hand on Dean's back with concern. He pulled it back almost immediately. "Gross, why are you so wet?" 

"It's called perspiration. I just came back from my morning jog like 5 minutes ago and I've been trying to cool down," he replied, standing up straight. "I'm good, don't worry about it. Hungry? I think I have leftovers or some shit in the fridge." 

He walked towards the kitchen, Roman following behind him. He opened the refrigerator, peeking in to see what it held. 

"So, uh, are you okay?" Roman questioned, watching as Dean stood and closed the fridge. "I mean, you sounded upset earlier." 

Dean shrugged, sipping on a chilled water bottle. Roman was confused at Dean's reaction, but allowed time for his friend to elaborate if he was going to. 

"Exercising gets my mind off of things," Dean said, screwing the cap back onto his drink. "I'm fine now, for the most part. Just got thinking about my past and got myself all messed up. I gotta focus on what's in front of me and not worry about everything else." 

"Thank you for the mini speech," Roman joked, receiving a glare. He put his hands up in defense, taking a step back. "I was trying to lighten the mood, sorry." 

Roman saw Dean's expression change into one of sympathy, suddenly feeling bad for his previous actions. It was unusual for Dean to be all mushy his emotions, but as of late, that's exactly how he's been. 

"Don't apologize," Dean insisted, swallowing softly before making eye contact. "You didn't do anything wrong. I'm a little out of it today, which is why I'm acting differently." 

"What do you mean 'out of it'?" 

"I just am." 

"That doesn't answer the question, Dean." 

"I'm not myself, alright? I realize that," Dean sighed, itching the back of his head awkwardly. "Look, I'm gonna go take a shower. Feel free to eat or drink whatever you want. I'll be back." 

Dean left the room to shower, leaving Roman pondering over how to help his best friend. He could tell Dean was still aching over what Seth did. The pain hadn't disappeared in the least, only increased due to having to see his ex almost every day because of their job. 

...

30 minutes had passed and Roman had heard nothing from Dean. He usually doesn't take this long to shower; it takes him 10 minutes and he's out and ready to do whatever. 

Roman contemplated whether or not to go check up on his former Shield partner, considering he was in the bathroom and all. He didn't want to walk in to find Dean completely naked, as that would make him feel beyond uncomfortable and he knew he wouldn't be able to look at Dean the same way, especially if he saw what Dean had dangling under the belt.