Chapter 7: Miscommunicated and Broken Down

The smell of smoke filled the air and I could hear cars driving away in the distance. But I remained on the ground with my hands pressed to the concrete roughly. Elijah had been right to insist that I didn't go, and I had been wrong for insisting to go anyway. I counted my breaths and tried to get the vivid imagery of Elijah in the ring holding his throat out of my mind.

"Raine? Are you okay, we thought you got kidnapped or something!" Elijah admitted sinking down to the concrete next to me. Carol stood holding Jared's hands and giving me a sympathetic look, Jared looked exhausted as he gently slipped his arm around her and guided her away.

"Im fine." I sighed looking at him. His throat had 2 layers of gauze wrapped around it, there was a patch covering his cheek, a bandage on his right eyebrow, and his right wrist was wrapped. I let another tear fall as my hand rubbed the bandage softly and I slammed my body into his in a hug. He held me tighly and I couldn't help but cry into his shoulder, it wasn't fair he had to do this.

"I made 50,000 tonight. That's nothing to cry about Raine." He said and I could sense the smirk playing on his lips. I backed away quickly and wiped my face before shooting up to my feet. He stood up behind me much slower and a light grunt made it's way to his lips as we got into the car.

"50,000 isn't worth risking your life over, you are aware you could've easily died out there right?" I pointed out not wanting to look at him as he pulled onto the road. Suddenly I felt like a idiot for pointing it out, especially because the look on his face was more then hurt.

"50,000 is more than enough to get my family a a safe place for a month though, so guess what? I ain't quitting until I die and if I die that way at least I die making sure my family's okay. This is exactly why I didn't want you to come, I knew you couldn't handle it here. I knew you were gonna go all judgemental christain girl on me... You should've just stayed home or in the room while the fight was going on!" He sighed and the words hit me like a bag of bricks. Guilt waved over my body and I desperately wished I had just kept my mouth shut.

"Look im sorry, I really didn't mean to offend you... it's just... What kind of mother would let her son do this for a living?" I asked feeling bad once more. I was asking way too many questions and the way the muscles on his face were flexing... proved me right.

"One that never did and never will give a fuck about her kids okay? As long as money's coming in, you think she gives a damn where it comes from?" He asked harshly and I flinched at the way the words had come out. He was getting more then aggravated with me as his hands gripped the steering wheel harder causing his bandage to crinkle just a little. We pulled into the drivingway of a fast food place and he turned to me, I was expecting him to yell but instead he grabbed my hand and I could see him relax, if only a little. "Just don't worry about it okay? Shit happens."

"If the 'shit' you're referrring to is your moms drug problem-" I didn't get to finish he cut me off starring at me roughly in the face and dropping my hand as if were cursed.

"Carol needs to learn how to shut the fuck up, and you... you just need to mind your own fucking buisness okay? Im alive and im breathing, stop your useless crying. It won't make me live any longer then I will." He growled hopping out of the car but I stayed there starring at my hands, I knew I should've just shut up.

"Well fuck you too." I mumbled under my breath hoping God would forgive me for my foul use of language. Suddenly the passenger door flew open and I looked up to see a very aggitated Elijah.

"GET THE FUCK OUT THE DAMN CAR RAINE!" He growled and I pushed him roughly out the way so I could step out.

"You don't have to curse at me you know? Or yell, I have ears Elijah, I can hear you!" I pointed out as we made our way to the front entrance.