Chapter 11: Birthday Surprises (1/3)

"Happy 16 birthday Raine, how's it feel?" My father asked sweetly holding a plate of pancakes shaped liked rain drops in his hands, the same hands he'd been abusing me with for months now.

"Don't think just 'cause your 16 you can do whatever you want though." My brother smiled handing me a small box. I took the pancakes skeptically and began to eat them, not really in the mood for opening boxes ever since I opened one with a dead bunny in it 2 weeks ago.

"You guys didn't have to do this, aren't you late for work or something?" I asked looking at my father, genuinely hoping his birthday present to me would be his disappearance. I guess im not one of the lucky ones though huh?

"Hey, I don't mind being late. You've got 2 more presents coming but you wont get them till late." My dad smiled as I opened the box revealing a medical bracelet with my name on it. I thanked them for the present's and then showered before changing into a tight pair of dark washed skinny jeans, a black turtle neck, grey scarf and grey knee length boots. I tied my hair up into a ponytail and grabbed my backpack before letting my brother drive me to school. By the time I got to last period a questions had been permenantly edged into my brain, 'Where on earth was Elijah?'

"Hey there birthday girl!" Sunny greeted from down the hallway as she raced up to me. I turned around and smiled brightly at her with a small wave.

"Um hey there, where've you been the last few weeks?" I asked pretending to care.

"Oh, let's not talk about me okay? I was thinking since it was your birthday and all we should hit up a club. Fake I.D's drink's, older boys." She smiled but I shook my head and began to walk towards Carol and Jared down the hall.

"HAppy birthday, it's today right?" Carol asked pulling away from Jared and giving me a hug.

"Elijah kept reminding us, happy 16 BG." Jared smiled giving me a sideways hug.

"Thanks guy's have you seen Elijah today?" I asked smiling. Jared looked down at the floor before giving Carol a small kiss and racing down the hallway. "Is he avoiding me?"

"Elijah's not avoiding you, it's just he had a fight today during school hours and then he went out to get you a present. You're not supposed to know about any of this, im just supposed to get you from here to his car so let's go." Carol smiled dragging me to the school parking lot. Elijah sat on the hood of his car with a split lip but a heavy grin on his face as I ran to him, I don't know why I felt as if I missed him so much.

"Happy birthday Raine." He smiled pulling me into a tight hug.

"Thank you." I chuckled pulling away as I noticed his hands had slipped to my waist. He pulled his hands away from me and grabbed a box off the hood of his car smiling brightly.

"I'm not the best at shopping for chicks but I felt we're close enough friends that I needed to get you something for your birthday." He admitted with a shrug. I pulled the lid off the box excitedly, laying inside sat a beautiful white and black halter dress that flared out at the waist. My breath caught in my throat, it was so beautiful. I checked the tag and noticed it was my perfect size and I looked up at Elijah who was staring at the ground with blush filling his face.

"It's beautiful, I love it Elijah. Thank you so much." I smiled hugging him tightly.

"Your welcome, but that's not your only present." He smiled whispering in my ear, I pulled back from him and he put the box back into the car before opening the passenger door for me as he climbed in the driver's seat.

"Where are we going?" I asked smiling after noticing we'd been driving for 30 minute without saying a word. Elijah stayed silent but I could tell from his face, where ever it was it was making him really nervous.