2

I walked out toward my truck and Alpha padded beside me. My hand grasped the door handle and I hopped inside. Alpha tried to follow and I giggled.

"Get in on the other side." I said leaning over and opening the passenger door. I almost slapped myself for thinking that he'd do it. He's a dog why was I talking like he was human? I looked down at him and realized he wasn't there.

"Alph-" I started but stopped when I heard a shuffling noise beside me. I whirled back to the passenger side and was shocked to see Alpha hunched in the seat. He looked to big for it. Oh who am I kidding he was to big for it. I shut my door.

"Very smart. Can you understand me boy?" I asked him and he snorted and looked at me. His eyes shown and almost said, Yeah I can you silly girl.

"I guess you're trained and stuff." I figured and leaned over to shut the passenger door. My arm brushed his surprisingly soft fur and Alpha growled softly. I shut the door and sat back in my seat.

"Well I'm taking you home. You're going to meet my mom and dad." I said enthusiastically and Alpha whined softly and lolled out his tongue. I reached over and ruffled his fur at the top of his ears. A weird shock struck my fingers. I shrugged it off and scratched behind Alpha's ears. He growled softly and his eyes closed as I scratched him.

I stopped and his eyes peered open and nudged my hand. He looked at me and his eyes were pleading and dark.

"Aww does Alpha want another scratch?" I asked and he yipped. It was weird how he actually acted like he could understand me... Could he? I pushed the thought to the back of my mind and scratched him again.

"Okay time to go." I said starting the engine ignoring Alpha's whine as I stopped scratching him. My hands gripped the steering wheel as I pulled out of the parking lot.

On the way home I rolled the window down a little and Alpha stuck his head out. I giggled as his tongue flailed and slapped against his jaws. His black fur billowed in the wind and I chuckled. He was such a beautiful creature.

"We're here." I said softly as I pulled up to my house.

Alpha growled as I stopped the car in the driveway and opened my door. He yipped and I shut my door and walked around to open his. He jumped out and gave himself a good shake and stretched. He had nice muscles under his pelt and he did look menacing in more than one way.

"Come on." I said holding up the chain collar I'd gotten him. He walked over and paused and stared at the collar. He snorted and licked my hand as I put it on him. It added a nice flare to him.

"Oh Alpha you look so handsome!" I cooed and he wagged his tail and yipped. I scratched behind his ears and motioned for him to follow me to the house.

I paused on the porch and knocked on the door. After a few minutes it opened and I was greeted with the sight of my mother. She smiled and was about to hug me when Alpha growled deeply. My mother caught sight of him and recoiled instantly.

"What's that?" She hissed pointing at Alpha who huffed and pressed his side against me. I softly patted his head.

"This is Alpha. My new dog." I stated proudly and Alpha seemed to stand taller.

"D- dog? Are you serious? What in God's name." My mother said laying a hand on her forehead.

"You're the one that said I could." I countered and crossed my arms.

"I thought you'd pick a small one. You know like a lap dog." My mother sighed resting her hand at her side. Alpha snorted.

"Mom you know I wouldn't what some little thing. What fun is that? I wanted a big dog and look I've found one and he's not going anywhere." I said sternly and gripped Alpha's collar softly.

"What's going on- oh. Okay then." My dad said coming to the door as he looked at Alpha. Dad reached out to touch Alpha and for a second my dog growled then he softly nuzzled his hand. My mom sighed as Dad chuckled.

"Come on Carly it's just a dog. No harm done." My father said and I hugged him. He chuckled and hugged me back and Alpha whined loudly. My father let me go as Alpha paced around us. He finally scooted his way in between us and huffed as my father looked at him.

"Looks like someone's protective. It's okay boy I'm her dad." My father said and Alpha huffed and laid down. I stepped over him and my mom sighed again.

"Fine. There's no point in arguing. Just make sure he doesn't mess things up." She sighed but I saw the twinkle in her eyes and I wrapped her in an embrace as well. Alpha barked. I turned to him and saw he was standing up and watching with those strange eyes of his.

"You want a hug too boy? Is that it?" Alpha yipped at my question and I chucked. I leaned down and he rushed at me. I wrapped my arms around his furry neck and he licked my ear. I giggled and let him go. He looked content and he walked inside and sniffed around the house.

"Welp looks like we've got ourselves a guard dog." Dad commented as he shut the door and Alpha ran out of the front room. His fur stood on end and he looked scary. When he took us in his fur lay flat and he calmed down. He sat and watched us as we walked to the living room and he followed us as we sat down on the couch. I was at the far end and Alpha walked over and slumped on the ground beside where I sat.

"God he's big. And he looks like a wolf... Katlyn are we sure it's even a dog?" My mother whispered. Alpha's ears flicked. He was big. Bigger than any Great Dane or any other dog I'd seen. And he did look like a wolf.

"Okay... He's a wolf. So what?" I inquired and my mother shrugged. Alpha looked up at me and barked softly.

"Aren't you a good lil wolf?" I said and Alpha stiffened and stood up. He looked at everyone then sat down and growled while he pawed at the ground.

"See we know your secret." I teased him and he snorted. His head shook and he made a sound almost like a laugh as he laid back down.