48

Lexi's P. O. V.

Clayton sat in his office going through mountains of paperwork. He was busying himself to get over his grief.

It had been over five damn years since Katlyn had been taken by her parents. We'd searched but it was no use... we had no idea where they'd gone.

Clayton felt something break a long time ago... part of Kate was gone... the Reversion had worked, she was a Hunter now that was most likely the case.

He had remained strong for Kaden but I knew he wept at night.

Kaden at the moment was pulling at Michael's ears and tugging his hair. Mike laughed and kept swatting the nearly six-year-old's little hands away.

"Where's Daddy?" Kaden asked and Mike smiled softly.

"You're dad's finishing some work. What you don't want to play with Uncle Mike anymore?" Mike said making a pouty face.

Kaden crossed his little arms, "I wanna see your wolf." He said to Mike and my mate chuckled.

"What do you say Lex? Wanna take the kid out?" He asked and his eyes glowed with his wolf and his mischief.

I'd turned Mike after the war and he was a werewolf now, but it only seemed to enhance his playful behavior.

I quickly mind-linked Clayton and then nodded, "Come on Kade." I said and he bounced up and down in excitement. I couldn't help but smile as we went outside into the misty morning air.

I waited alongside Mike and Kaden watched in excitement as we prepared to shift.

"On three." Mike said and Kaden nodded putting up his fingers.

"One... two..."

Katlyn's P. O. V.

"... three of them!" My dad yelled and I pointed the gun at the beasts rushing toward us. My father was bleeding from a gash in his side and I squeezed the trigger.

The wolves dropped like flies and I flung my gun back in it's holster.

"You okay?" I asked my dad and he nodded. I reached out my hand and hauled him to his feet.

"Come on, we're done here... Where's Mom?" I said and my father nodded toward the car which was parked some distance away.

I nodded curtly and pulled out the gasoline I had in my bag and doused the bodies before igniting the carcasses. The smell of the burning flesh, I had come to terms with it over the years. It was now a nice aroma. Like a little reward. A trophy for the job well done.

My body had changed little over the years. Sure I got a few scars, but they healed well. One could barely even notice them, let alone see them, unless they knew what they where looking for. Plus, I never really noticed how devilishly good looking I was. I'd noticed all those years ago that my eyes were now gold and red-orange. My parents had explained to me that it was all part of being a Hunter and some things just evolved. I was cool with it.

I clutched my chain necklace laced around my neck and fumbled the beautiful ring I'd put on it. I'd found the lovely ring in my room and I couldn't part with it... it was just so gorgeous and I felt a strange need to have it on me. But a ring isn't best in some dire situations so I opted to put it on a necklace instead.

We all hopped into the car and I smiled as my phone rang. I looked at the ID.

It was Jaxon.