4

I jumped up and yelled, "Alpha stop!" My dog paused then turned on me and growled. I gasped at his red eyes and he blinked and relaxed. His tail drooped and he whined softly and crawled over to me. Dalton stood and limped over.

"Oh God." I hissed as I saw his leg was bleeding. Alpha whimpered as I glared at him. I bent down and looked at Dalton's ankle and sure enough there was a bite mark. Dalton sucked in a breath as I touched it. Luckily it wasn't deep. I went to my bathroom and got the first aid kit I kept in my drawers. I returned to Dalton and was shocked to see Alpha licking his ankle rhythmically. As I watched Alpha nudged Dalton with his snout and growled softly but backed away and his head swung toward me. Alpha's red eyes were swirling with yellow gold.

"Katy. I think he feels bad." Dalton said with a chuckle. I nodded and walked over.

"You should be." I said to Alpha and for a second he whimpered but then growled at Dalton. I sighed and went to put some ointment on Dalton but Alpha pushed his big body in between. I tried to move around but he blocked my way.

"Alpha move." I snapped and he only growled standing his ground and obviously unfazed by my tone of voice. Dalton tried to move and Alpha snarled.

I tried again to get around Alpha and he pushed against me. I huffed as he kept on pushing until I was across the room. Dalton chuckled.

"Okay I get it. I won't touch her again Alpha." Dalton said and Alpha snorted. Then without warning he gripped the aid kit in his jaws and stalked over to Dalton. He dropped them at his feet and Dalton looked at him wide eyed. Alpha snorted again and whirled back to me and stood in front.

"Guess he wants me to do it myself, huh?" Dalton said as he bent and started doctoring himself. I sighed and laughed bitterly.

"Why'd you kiss me?" I asked and Alpha tensed. Dalton shrugged.

"I don't know. I just wanted to." Dalton said and ran his fingers through his hair.

"I've wanted to for a while. But Katlyn I don't want things to change between us. I love you but I can't be with you. You're my best friend. Do you understand?" Dalton said and I nodded. He loved me? But he couldn't be with me...

Alpha growled and I sat on my bed. I took a deep breath and sighed. I was getting a heavy feeling in my chest. Alpha whimpered and jumped up beside me and laid his head in my lap. I scratched behind his ears and looked at Dalton who was watching with sad eyes.

"I'm sorry about this Katlyn... I've got to go." Dalton said and walked out of the room.

I heard the front door close and his truck's door shut and him driving away. After he was gone I felt tears slide down my cheeks as I sobbed quietly.

Alpha growled softly and pressed his furry body against me. I laid beside him and wrapped my arms around him. He licked my face softly and huffed.

"That was my first kiss..." I sighed in a broken voice. Alpha made a weird noise and pressed closer to me.

"Such a good boy." I breathed as I combed my fingers through his fur. I blinked away my tears.

"I love you Alpha." I sighed and Alpha whined and licked me again. I hugged him tighter and he managed to get his forearm over my waist. If I was in a better mood I might've laughed but I didn't, I just sniffled and laid my head against his furry neck. I closed my eyes and slipped into blackness.

I woke up the next morning with a jolt. Alpha was at the foot of my bed sprawled out with his head laying on my legs. I chuckled inwardly. I felt much better. Alpha's ears suddenly twitched and his eyes opened. His tongue lolled out of his mouth and he licked his chops as he sat up. He gave himself a good shake before stretching like a cat.

"Hey Alpha." I sighed and stretched. He glanced at me and whined hopping off the bed and dancing in front of the door. I giggled and got up.

"You gotta go?" I asked and he whined. I opened the door for him and he shot out of the room and practically flew down the stairs. I'd never seen an animal move so fast. I hurried down the stairs to see him pacing at the back door. He looked at me pleadingly and I opened the door. He bolted outside and ran towards the wooded area in the back. Yep there were woods in the back.

Maybe we did have wolves and they just hid back there? I shrugged at the thought. I walked into the kitchen.

A howl ripped though the air and I jumped. The noise continued and I walked back to the door and saw Alpha tilting his head back and emitting the sound. It was a beautiful noise that sent sparks down my spine and a weird feeling in my heart that brought heat throughout my body. I smiled softly as I watched.

Alpha lowered his head as his howl faded and his ears were perked and twitching. As I looked on another faint howl rang softly in the wind. Alpha howled again and I listened mesmerized as another faint howl was carried back in the wind.

Okay I guess we did have wolves.

Alpha looked over at me and paused before trotting over. His black figure was a sight to see. Scary but lovely all the same.

"Come on." I said as he padded inside and I shut the door. He snorted and went into the living room before returning with his bowl in his mouth. He dropped it at my feet and I smiled mischievously.

I walked over to the fridge and opened it. My hands rummaged through the drawers until my fingers wrapped around the raw steak. I took it out and waved it at Alpha before tearing at the packaging.

Blood dripped onto the floor and Alpha was on it in a flash and licking it up. I couldn't help cringing a little.

He licked his chops and looked expectedly at me as I grabbed his bowl and plopped the bloody meat inside. It was the first time I'd given him raw meat but I assumed he was used to it. Drool dripped down his lolling tongue and I giggled.

"Who's hungry?" I asked and Alpha pawed at the ground. I smiled and set it down for him. He wolfed it up. See what I did there?

I chuckled and scratched behind his ears when he finished. He growled softly and licked my hand and I couldn't help smiling.

"You're such a good boy Alpha." I cooed and he laid down and rolled onto his back. I laughed and scratched his stomach causing his leg to kick.