Chapter 21

I woke up with a start because of my phone. It was ringing. I realized that I was still lying in Harry's knees. I looked up at him, he didn't look tired at all, just stroking hair away from my forehead. I slowly sat up and grabbed the phone, it was my father.

“Hi dad,” I said and cleared my throat.

“Amber I just got a phone call from the hospital, saying my mother is under surgery. Are you there?” he sounded terrified, why wouldn't he. He loved grandma almost as much as I did.

“Yes, dad. I'm here. We've been waiting for hours now.”

“We?”

“Well, that's another story dad. I'll tell you all about it later. I'll call you when we know anything more,” I said and rubbed my eyes, still sleepy.

“Okay! I love you,” he said.

“I love you too.”

Please Vote and Comment ;)  

“Do you want anything to eat? I can go down to the cafeteria and grab something for you if you want,” Harry said.

“No, I think I'm to nervous to eat. Thanks though.” I said and gave him a weak smile. He returned it and putted one arm around me. I rested my head on his shoulder while he wiped away tears, that I didn't know I shed, with his other hand. We've never been that close before. It felt amazing.

“Thank you for being here with me,” I said and tilted my head up to look at him.

“Anytime,” he said and intertwined our fingers and kissed the back of my hand. I blushed as always.

“You know, I have something that might cheer you up a bit,” he said and started to search for something in his back pocket.

“What is it?” I asked. He didn't answer me, just pulled up a white iPhone headset.

“Put it in,” he said. I grabbed one and put it in my ear while Harry took the other one. It was quiet for a while, but then my favorite song started to play. It made me calm right away.

“Settle down with me. Cover me up. Cuddle me in.” it was “Kiss Me” by Ed Sheeran. I couldn't help but smile. I looked at Harry, he looked happy that his plan had worked out.

“Well, you're right. It cheers me up a bit.”

“Good,” he said and intertwined our fingers again. I started to hum along with the song.

“This song is amazing,” I said still resting my head on Harry's shoulder. He became quiet for a few seconds.

“So are you,” he said. I looked up at his beautiful face before doing what I've always wanted to do. I placed one hand on his neck and pushed his face a little bit closer to mine. He knew where this was going, so he placed his hand on my cheek and then our lips finally touched each other just as Ed sang “Kiss me like you wanna be loved”.

It felt unreal. The whole situation was unreal. I gently played with his curls as his hand dived into my hair, gently cupping the back of my head. I was unfamiliar with all the feelings, but I could feel how I just wanted more of him. Even though it was my first kiss, I knew exactly what I was doing. It all turned out into a making-out session, with a bit of passionate kisses. After a while, we had to pull away to catch our breaths. He pressed his forehead against mine, breathing heavily. I realized that the headset along with Harry's phone had fallen to the floor, so I picked it up.

“Here you go,” I said, still too shy to meet his eyes.

“Thanks,” he said and placed it in his pocket again.

He was just about to say something, when a nurse finally entered the room. I stood up immediately, so did Harry.

“Are you Amber?” she asked.

“Yes I am. How is she?” I asked and heard that my voice had started to tremble. Harry took my hand and gently stroke it with his thumb.

“Well, the surgery went well, but she's still unconscious. You can see her if you want to, but she won't know you're there.” I looked at Harry and hoped that he would make the decision for me, but he just kept stroking my hand. I let out a small sigh.

“I want to see her.”

Harry said that he waited outside. I understood that, so I just nodded and gave him a small smile. I took another deep breath before opening the door. The sight was horrible. Seeing grandma with all those machines surrounding her made me freak out a bit. I heard the small beeps from the machine that told me that her heart was beating, so that was a bit comforting after all. I walked up to her, standing next to her bed. She was so near me, but still she seemed so far away. She actually looked kind of peaceful, almost like she was sleeping. I took her cold hand in mine. I sat down on my knees closer to the bed and just looked at her.

“Hi grandma.” I gave her hand a small squeeze.

“I'm so glad you're still alive! I hope that you can hear me somewhere deep inside of you, even though you can't let it show. You have no idea how scared I've been. I...” I couldn't continue. My eyes started to produce some kind of waterfalls. I tried to wipe them away with the back of my hand, but new tears came all the time.

“I know you're going to make it. You'll be healthy as a horse in no time. And then, we can go and eat ice cream together again. And celebrate that you're back.” I gently stroke her hair.

“Well, I'll let you recover now. I'll see you soon grandma,” I said and stood up and walked towards the door. I turned around and looked at her one more time.

“I love you grandma,” I said and left the room.

Harry came to me as soon as I closed the door behind me. He wrapped his arms around me and let me cry out on his shoulder. I buried my face in it, felling him stroke my hair and press his lips against the top of my head. We didn't say anything, just stood there in the middle of a hallway at the hospital, not caring about anything except each other.