Chapter 30

“I'll drive now,” I said and giggled as we left the café.

“Thank you,” dad said, causing me to giggle again. It was kind of strange, how could I actually giggle at a day like this? I should be home, crying my eyes out. Well, I have been crying my eyes out, I did that this morning. It almost felt like I wasn't having any tears left. But I still feel like I should be more upset than I actually am. Maybe that's a sign of maturity? Maybe I've finally realized that nothing lasts forever, not even my grandmother who always seemed like some sort of superhero in my eyes. The one that would always be there for me, the one that I could always visit and talk to. I know that my grandmother is in a better place now. She's where she's supposed to be, because everything happens for a reason they say, so there has to be a good one for my grandmother to see the heavens gates. I know that she'll still be with me, just in a different kind of way. I can't see her, or hear her. But I can feel her. I feel her in a way like never before. In a beautiful way, in my heart. That's the only comfort I have, knowing that she's there. I can't lose her, maybe physically, but not mentally. I smiled again, which was a pretty unusual feeling, since I hadn't been doing that today. I hadn't lost my grandmother, she'd just transformed into something different. Into a piece of my heart.

I hadn't lost my grandmother.

“Harry seems pretty nice,” dad said, bringing me back to reality.

“Well, he is,” I said. Dad gave me a proud smile.

“He should be happy to have you,” he added and gently stroke my cheek with the back of his hand.

“Thank you dad,” I said and gave him a smile, feeling a lot better now than I'd been doing the whole day.

As we drove by the small baseball field, I saw Harry's car. And Harry too.

“Speaking of the devil,” dad said and gave me a small smirk. I laughed and playfully punched his arm. Man, it felt good to finally laugh.

“Can I stop by?” I asked.

“Sure!”

I parked next to Harry, who looked a bit surprised to see me. He was there with the twins.

“Amber!” they both shouted and ran towards me.

“Hello.” I said and actually bent down so they could hug me.

“Who's that?” Simon asked and looked at dad.

“That's my father, Steve,” I explained.

“Hi Steve!” they both shouted.

“Hello,” he said back with a smile.

“Dad, this is Harry's siblings, Simon and Sophie.”

“Oh, nice to meet you guys,” dad said and gave them another smile. It felt good to see that he was smiling again. Simon and his sister ran off into the field as Harry waited with us.

“What are you guys doing here?” I asked.

“Well, Simon's started to practice baseball, so we're here with the team today for a baseball game,” Harry said with a proud smile.

“You're welcome to join us if you want,” he added. I gave dad a quick look and saw right away that he didn't want to stay.

“No, I think we should head home,” I started, but dad interrupted me.

“Well, Amber you can stay if you want to, I'll just pick you up when the game's over,” dad said.

“Yeah, and I can take you home too,” Harry said.