The Awakening of the Vampire Princess Ch.30

Copyright © 2011 by Nina Deviine

5 Votes for the next chapter

Recap:

         “That doesn’t explain anything,” I argued.

         “Don’t worry, it will.”

         Knowing that I wasn’t going to get anything else out of him, I shrugged my shoulders and tucked away the card. Whatever was in store for me it didn’t matter. I didn’t trust anyone as it is, so I wouldn’t be running into his strong arms at any cost. I promised myself that much.

_______________________________________________

Darcy's P.O.V

         Two days later I was sitting in front of the television and watching mind numbing shows when Rebecca ran through the door, looking as white as a ghost. Her whole body was shaking and tears were running down her cheeks. Tom stood beside her looking equally stricken but less emotional. He was always cool and collected.

        It wasn’t that much of a surprise when they showed up together; after all they were barely apart. My heart hurt for Amber, but I brushed the feelings away. It was stupid to feel pity for anyone. Everyone turned their attention to the hysterical Rebecca.

      “They...dead...carved...horrible...vampires...Amber,” she panted incoherently.

      “Spit it out Rebecca,” my mom ground out, looking terribly worried at the mention of Amber’s name. It felt as if she was still in denial over what Catherine said Amber did. She looked like she didn’t believe it still and that hurt in a way. I guess mom felt closer to Amber than she did to any of us, however Amber and her were both vampires so in a way it is justified. Still, that didn’t ease the pang in my heart.

      “We were walking out in the woods, looking at the perimeter with Catherine and we found three dead bodies,” Tom said, he shiver slightly when he mentioned the bodies. I noticed Catherine for the first time standing with them, beside her stood Zark, his gaze pinned intently on me.

      “The bodies weren’t human, but one was vampire and the other two were witches. They had a nice message carved in their belly,” Catherine continued explaining when she saw Tom wasn’t about to budge. She had a grim smile on her lips and shook her head.

      “Show us the way!” Lyle demanded. He was a hybrid; half human, half vampire. He was also a representative of the Council. So, as you can imagine, it wasn’t good that he was here.

      Catherine rolled her eyes dramatically, still having some humour for sarcasm left in her. I felt as if the things she saw with us were mild compared to what she saw in her life. She didn’t look even slightly phased and that amazed me; that this girl could be so cool about death. It was scary.

     We walked into the woods for about half an hour. Everyone was eerily quiet, especially Justin. He was brooding a lot lately. I was kicking the gravel and rocks on the ground when I heard collective gasps. My snapped up to see what the commotion was about and I froze.

      The scene itself was gruesome. It was grotesque. It was sick.

      Only someone with a disturbed mind could ever think of it. Suddenly I realised why Rebecca was crying and why Tom was speechless. I certainly found it hard to conjure any words to describe what I saw.

           There were three bodies, just like they said. The vampire had his fangs and his face was frozen like he was in a middle of a vicious attack. He had ash black hair and glowing orange eyes. He wasn’t a Noble. No noble would ever have orange eyes in their vampirism state. He was hanging from a tree with a rope wound around his neck. It looked like he was hanged, but I knew better than to believe that. He looked very much alive, as if he would spring at us at any moment and tear us to shreds. I knew he was dead because I couldn’t hear a pulse, but that still didn’t quell my fear.