The Awakening of the Vampire Princess Ch.31

Copyright © 2011 by Nina Deviine

5 votes for the next chapter. :) Thanks

Recap:

“A slime bag,” Justin agreed.

          “What’s wrong with you lately?” David asked.

         “Nothing,” Justin snapped defensively, yet deep down I knew the answer. I only hoped he wouldn’t go through what I went through.

__________________________________________________________________________

Darcy's P.O.V

           It happened a week from then, at midnight exactly.

          Catherine and I were patrolling the house and the woods, talking about nothing in particular. Most people couldn’t stand being around Catherine, yet I found her presence comforting even if I was a little scared.

          Catherine suddenly froze and sniffed the air cautiously.

         “Do you smell it?”

         “Smell what?” I asked, all of my senses on alert.

         “Malice. Death.”

        I forced out a laugh, yet it was incredibly strained.

         “You’re joking.”

        “No. Smell the air,” Catherine ordered; her eyes looked glassy and glazed. Almost as if she was high, but I knew we couldn’t ever get high.

        I obliged her and carefully sniffed the air. My sense of smell wouldn’t be as acute as hers, but it still was good. I froze when I realised she was right. You could smell malice and death in the air.

         “I wonder who’ll greet death tonight,” an eerie voice floated from behind me and I turned around quickly.

         “Amber,” I whispered. She was so different, yet so the same. Amber’s voice changed, it developed a sort of seductive and beguiling quality about it. She also had an unearthly beauty about her, like she was from another planet. The awakening changed her, yet her eyes were the same bottomless pit of black.

        “The one and only,” she said.

         A sudden pain struck me and I fell on the ground. I tried to get up, but none of my limbs would obey. I tried again, but couldn’t do anything. I felt so helpless, so useless. Catherine threw her head back and howled. It was an ear-piercing sound, unlike that of a werewolf which was more melodious.

        Seconds later, Rebecca, Tom, Lyle, my mom and Justin were here. Catherine easily blocked all of Amber’s attacks and it looked like they were dancing more than fighting.

         “What the hell are you?” Amber growled, trying to hit her in the gut, Catherine smoothly blocked it, as if Amber was doing everything in slow motion.

         “Your worst nightmare.” Catherine struck her with two fingers into the chest and Amber flew back and hit the tree.

         “I’ll go get reinforcements,” she simply said and started walking away, whistling as if she had all the time in the world. Amber got up and I saw a black aura engulfing her. I didn’t notice it before because it was more of a haze, but now I could clearly see the black that followed Amber. It looked evil and ominous. Wisps of the black curled around Amber’s body as if they wanted to devour her, completely take her over.