CHAPTER 1√

Four years old - Narrator

He giggled as he ran from his mother. His child-like joy caused happiness in those he passed as he ducked under a man's spread legs.

"Xavier! "His mother called with short of breath. He turned his head towards her and saw her bent over form as she attempted to fill her lungs with much needed air. He smiled and ran towards her. He laughed as he tackled her to the ground easily and they fell back together. His mother laughed and two guards stepped forward to help her. She waved a hand at them and stared down at Xavier who laughed and put his small chubby hands on her cheeks.

"Momma! "He declared and a sense of peace and strength washed over Kendal.

"You are fast little one." She said as she could finally breath properly. She felt years younger than her actual 56 year old age. Xavier shook his head, his bright red hair waving about.

"Momma slow. "He explained and beamed widely. Kendal smiled at him while running her hand through his hair.

"You're right, momma very slow." She bent her head towards him. "Because, momma, is very old." Xavier laughed as she began tickling his stomach.

"Noo, momma, stop! "He begged and panted with flushed cheeks.

Kendal looked up as a large shadow fell over them. Her eyes hardened at the sight of her husband.

"Gregor." She said blankly. He grunted and crouched down.

"Kendal. "He mimicked." You were scheduled to come to me this afternoon, not wasting time with our son. "Kendal looked up at him sharply, she had no ounce of guilt in her at the mention of their supposed contribution of her son.

"He wanted to play, he's more important to me than your needs." She said and looked down at Xavier who whimpered, pushing his smaller body into hers. There was a growl, loud and vicious, cross between a snarl and a purr. "You're scaring him, Gregor." She hissed, her eyes flashing gold.

"Momma, "Xavier whispered in fear, his arms tightening around her neck. The wave of dominance, hate and anger radiating from Gregor had everyone bowed in submission.

"You will respect me, woman. I am your superior." Gregor's nose flared up as he stood to his full height. "Do not test me." He growled, his own eyes a strong copper colour. He clenched his hands into fists. The urge to beat her to a pulp raging strongly inside of him.

"My apologies, Gregor. "She said, her eyes held no sincerity but her tone was believable.

"Come." He simply said before turning away from them.

Xavier felt fear grip tightly on his little heart as he watched his mother follow after the man he was meant to call father. He swallowed and stood, dusting himself off. He worked up some courage before following them into the larger hut. He knew he shouldn't have gone in but he couldn't help it, he wanted to make sure that his mother was OK and well. He kept low as he heard shuffling then a groan. He had a sick feeling within him just as his mother moaned with pain after the sound of a sickening snap rang out.

"You think you can disobey me? "Gregor growled as he held onto Kendal's arm, twisting it oddly. She screamed and he laughed huskily. "You know I love it when you scream. "

"Gregor, please, not again." She sobbed suddenly as he threw her onto the bed. She clutched her broken arm as Gregor ripped open her dress made of fur.

"Keep begging, baby, "he chuckled as his sharp canines extended and he drove them into her soft thigh. She might be old but she did not look like it at all. She screamed, tears leaking down her face." Ugh. "

The hut shook from the base. Xavier was breathing hard, his eyes filled with tears as he witnessed the mistreatment of his mother. His small hands balled into fists as he wiped away his tears. The very structure of the hut shook, trembling as he wanted nothing more than to scream. He watched as his mother caught sight of him and hurried to dress properly. His eyes prickled some more, turning a bright soft blue.

"No, Xavier, shhh. "His mother urged as she scooped him up into her arms and whisked him away from the scene.

****

Ten years old

Xavier stared up at his mother who smiled softly, her soft silver locks tied up in a tight bun. She had a large book in her hands. They sat cross legged across from one another.

"Momma, why are we here? "He asked softly for the first time they sat down. Kendal smiled at her one and only child and opened the book.

"I wanted to show you something." She whispered. "But, it's a secret, OK? You can't tell anyone." She smile widely as Xavier nodded vigorously, eager to see what secret the book held.

"I promise I won't tell. "He said, his eyes shining with promise.

"This book has been in your father's family for a very long time." Xavier wrinkled his nose at the mention of Gregor. "One day, when your old enough, I will give it to you, to help guide you on your journey to finding yourself." Xavier tilted his head and nodded his head, pretending to know what she was talking about.

"This book hold answers to questions you will one day seek answers for. I tell you this now because I want to make sure you know...before I'm gone. "Her eyes turned sad and Xavier frowned.

"Where are you going, momma?" He asked helplessly. She smiled and held his cheek in her hand.

"I won't be too far away, "Xavier suddenly looked angry.

"Where, momma? Can I come with you?" He asked, sitting up onto his knees, getting closer to her.

"One day. "She whispered to him before pulling him towards her, hugging her closer.

"I don't want you to go." Xavier whispered, tears in his eyes. "Don't go, momma." There was the sound of water crashing against a wall. Xavier tightened his arms around her and buried his head in the crook of her neck.

"Don't go." Suddenly there was water beneath them, soaking their legs. Kendal sighed.

"Look, Xavier." She whispered, pushing him gently, he pulled away and wiped his eye. Looking down, Xavier gasped at the sight of water rolling around them, it was strange because it was only surrounding them in a circle, swirling.

"Where did it come from? "He asked and reached out to touch it, the water rolled into his hand and he spread his fingers, hoping to drop it but it stayed, swirling round like a tornado then changing, levitating above his hand, small waves created as they crashed against one another.

"You, Xavier."Xavier looked up at her in shock and confusion. "You are doing this. "

"How?" He asked in a small voice.

"Your father. "His brows furrowed." His side of the family has had people like you many generations back, they used to all be gone but now...now you are here, which means they are coming back. "

"I don't understand, momma." He confessed and the water slipped through his fingers, the water swirling around them stopped as it spread among them into the soil.

"Caster's, sweety, you are a Caster. "

It didn't make sense to him, he didn't understand it either. He wanted to ask what that was but then there was a growl and Gregor sent them back home, Xavier had looked to his mother, her hands were empty, the book gone. He glanced behind them and nothing was left but the dampness of the soil. He furrowed his brows, choosing to believe that she hid it under her large dress. Looking up at her, Xavier received a soft knowing smile and shining eyes. He tried for a smile too, but his young self couldn't stop thinking about what his mother shared with him. Even if he didn't fully grasp it.