CHAPTER 17√

Xavier

He felt his eyes boring into the side of his face. It was unnerving and it made him squirm.

"How did you do that? "Cyrus asked him and he sighed.

"How do you think?" Xavier looked up at him, expecting fear or disgust, emotions he often saw in his people,the panthers. Cyrus shrugged.

"I believe it's why I asked. "He whispered taking a step closer to him. Xavier watched him carefully, he wasn't sure what to expect from him."I've never seen anyone do that, and I have seen a lot of things." They stood face to face, inches from one another and Xavier held his breathe. He gasped as Cyrus took hold of his hand and then he saw something.

The air was cold around them, Cyrus kneeled down, his mother limp in his arms, the large dagger poked out from her chest and her dull lifeless turquoise eyes stared up at nothing.

Xavier blinked with a gasped at the picture which only lasted a split second. He stared at Cyrus who looked him in the eye.

"Your eyes were blue. "He whispered, Xavier reached up to his face and touched the skin right under his eye and then the bell rang and they jumped." We have to get out of here."Xavier gave a low grunt as Cyrus pulled at his hand, leading him out of the school building and to his car.

"Where are we going? "Xavier asked as he sat in the car and buckled his seat belt. He caught Cyrus' eye and for a moment they stared.

"My house. I want you to tell me exactly who you are and where in the world you came from." Xavier felt his lip twitch as Cyrus gave him a full blown smile.

-----------

The house was silent, the only sound was their breathing. They stared and Xavier felt uncomfortable in his own skin, it reminded him of the first time he had been alone with Gabriel. He frowned at the thought and mentally scolded himself for allowing the thought to occur.

"Xavier, "he snapped his head up at the sound of his name. Cyrus raised a single brow." It's clear we both have something to hide, so to make it fair, we will both just say what we are at the same time. "Xavier tilted his head to the side.

"Has anyone ever told you how ridiculous you can be?" Xavier said taking a seat on the couch, Cyrus smirked down at him.

"I can't recall. Now, on three, OK? "Xavier conceded, " one, two, - "

"Caster." Xavier said as Cyrus said nothing. "Hey! You said together."

"I didn't think you actually agreed. "Cyrus said his eyes wide."what the hell is a caster?" He asked confused and Xavier got the feeling Cyrus was on the verge of thinking he was crazy.

"Basically a warlock, but we prefer caster." Cyrus' brows rose.

"So I can't call witches, witches?" Xavier rolled his eyes.

"No, they find it insulting."

"Are you sure, though? They have been extinct for a very long time. " he asked after a short silence.

"I won't answer until I know what you are." Xavier said with a fierce glare. Cyrus held his hands up with a roll of his eyes.

"I'm a hunter, isn't that obvious enough. "He said sarcastically.

"I thought so, but it helps to have confirmation." Xavier said with his arms folded over his chest. "Now," he looked Cyrus up and down. "Where is your mother?" He stood to his feet.

"What do you want with my mother? "Cyrus narrowed his eyes.

"I need to talk to her."

"What about? "The air around them was thick, Xavier held his brave face for another moment before his shoulders slumped and he breathed through his mouth.

"I think she knows something about the attack on my family." Xavier said looking down at the floor. There was a moment of silence and Xavier looked up to see Cyrus watching him with sad eyes. "My mother was a panther," his throat suddenly felt thick as he decided to tell Cyrus everything about himself. "And I don't really know who my father is. My mother was married to the chief of the herd for over 30 years, there was no love between them," he began to explain.

"My mother was forced into marrying the man just so her family could avoid exile."Xavier sat down with a bounce as his eyes became unfocused." With panthers it's different, they don't just know about their soul mate the way wolves do, they are more primitive and wild, I guess. The chief was in desperate need of a wife to produce an heir but there was a problem. "Xavier fell silent for a moment until he felt Cyrus' touch on his arm." My mother was barren, she couldn't have kids. " Xavier stared down at his hands," she met her true love at a very old age, but that didn't stop her from...well, you know. "Xavier felt his cheeks heat." She was a free spirit, she never expected it, but the God's favoured her because after three weeks she found out she was pregnant, with me. "

"She was barren, though." Cyrus said and Xavier looked to him.

"Exactly, which is why she couldn't understand how it was possible, it's what made him angry too, the chief. She figured that even though she wasn't meant to have children, only her true love could giver her that. It's how she knew that the man was her mate, it's rare to find actual mates around Panthers, not impossible, but rare. She was 56 when she had me, she would have died because of me,too. "

"You must miss her a lot." Cyrus said with a small smile.

"I do, everyday. "Xavier clenched his hands together." Which is why I have to find the monsters who did that to her. They murdered her right before my eyes. I was too late. About two months ago, the attack happened, it executed every single member of the herd, drained of blood and ripped apart. It was bloody."

"Every member but you." Xavier looked at Cyrus with a nod.

"Every member but me, Gabriel and Linus " Xavier watched as Cyrus pulled his brows together," They were the only two people like me, casters. They disappeared without me, I don't know where they went or if they are okay but, "he bit his lip, something tells me that they are, they have to be. "I need your mother to tell me what she knows." Xavier pleaded with him and within a blink of an eye Cyrus was kissing him. It was sweet and light and with no force. Xavier liked it, he felt the flutter in his chest and his eyes closed on their own accord.

"She will be here in an hour, "Cyrus said after pulling away," but I think I know what you need to know. "Xavier furrowed his eyes." Not to long ago I was on a hunt with my mother, we stumbled across a very interesting conversation between a vampire and the person who might have organised the attack on your herd. "Xavier felt his chest swell with hope.

"The attack wasn't an accident, Xavier, the vampires knew you guys were there and they seemed to have planned it all down. Panthers are nearly extinct, there are-were only two herds which are known. Someone is planning to get rid of all existing panther herd on earth. The thing about Panthers is that they don't usually run or live in packs, and they tend to move a lot which makes finding their locations difficult. Due to the near extinction, existing Panthers decided to group together for a better fighting chance. The way I see it, they will have to spread out, again. "Cyrus explained and Xavier stood to his feet.

"I have to find them." He declared.

"Anger won't bring your mother back, Xavier, in fact it will only disrespect her memory. "Cyrus said fiercely and earned himself a glare.

"You don't know her like I do."

"Maybe so, but going out blind won't do her or you any good. "Then there was a knock, both of them froze and looked to the door. It sounded again and Cyrus blinked up at Xavier. Xavier could tell that whoever was at the door, was not welcomed.

They stood that way and then there was a bang then another and then the door fell off its hinges. Xavier gasped and Cyrus took a stand in front of him, a large sword already drawn and Xavier couldn't tell where it came from.

"Well, well, well..."A deep baritoned voice said, the man stepping into the house. Xavier felt his blood run cold, the man was huge, his eyes red and glowing, sharp teeth poked out on each side of his mouth and he looked hungry. "Two birds, one stone." He laughed menacingly before he lunged.