CHAPTER 10√

Cyrus

The crystal clear glasses gleamed brightly ten feet away from him. Cyrus felt his mother's eyes digging holes into his head, but he had everything under control, he could deal with the pressure, in fact, he liked it. He lifted both his hands, the small daggers were gripped rightly between his fingers, he pulled his hands back, his legs supporting him and threw them one after the other at the glasses, breaking them into pieces.

"You took to long. "Cyrus good groaned and threw his head back and pouted." You need to work on your speed. "His mother observed.

"We have been at this for hours!" He whined, "could I please go to the library? It closes in an hour and you promised me." He said, his blond and black hair whipping around as he turned towards her, their turquoise coloured eyes clashing. His mother narrowed her eyes and tilted her head.

"I promised a lot of things, Cyrus. "She said her voice low.

"And one being my going to the library after this. Ma, it's Saturday, I'm a teenager, let me enjoy it." He could tell her resolve was breaking as her eyes softened, he would have felt bad but he couldn't let himself. He watched as his mother dropped her gaze before looking back up with a sigh, her black hair fluttering in the wind.

"Fine, "Cyrus began to cheer only to cough and smiled as his mother raised a brow." But, don't forget, we have a mission tonight. "Cyrus rolled his eyes while walking towards her.

"I won't," he hugged her and she sighed into his hair.

"If only your grandfather could see you now. " She mumbled fondly.

"He'd be proud of how you've raised me." Cyrus said looking up at her, they smiled and he let go, darting for the sliding door leading to the inside. He grabbed the keys to the car and left the house.

Putting the car into gear, Cyrus drove off, his training completely off his mind and on the books he needed to get. If there was anything he loved more than fighting it would be his novels, they kept him going. He drummed to the beat of the song playing on the radio as he drove.

The library was empty, just the way he liked it. Ms. Amsworth smiled at him in passing and warned him that he had only 30 minutes left. Cyrus pursed his lips as he went to the section on fiction. He took out a set of three books he had been dying to get his hands on before heading to the counter to check them out. One of them happened to be a Rick Riordan book he couldn't wait to get into. He smiled gleefully as he made his way out.

-----------

Cyrus kept his face stoic and devoid of any emotions. He was tired and it was dark and all he wanted to do was sleep. The heels of his mother's shoe's clicked in rhythm ahead of him. He just wanted to finish everything so he could get home and dream.

"Just a few blocks ahead, Cyrus, "she said looking back at him with a smirk. Cyrus pouted.

"It's so very normal how you just happen to know how I feel." Cyrus let out a huff and his mother chuckled lowly.

"You have always been easy to read. "

"That is only because I am an open book, I already say what I feel so it isn't difficult to guess. I bet I said how I felt out loud without even hearing myself," he snapped his fingers, "that's how you knew. Pft, to think I almost believed you were psychic." His mother sighed at him before grabbing onto the wrist of his leather jacket and pulling him along. "Hey, now, easy, that is pure leather."

"For an animal lover you sure have a lot of it. " She muttered.

"I'll have you know that I was only being dramatic, it isn't real leather."

"Shut it, "his mother hissed and Cyrus simply stuck his tongue out at her before crouching along with her.

Cyrus followed after his mother towards the back of a dumpster. Two men were settled in the alley looking suspicious. One lit a cigarette while the other seemed to be scowling. Cyrus wasn't sure why his mother wanted to check out some humans but he trusted her enough to know that it might be important.

"Honestly, you have got to stop smoking that in front of me. "The man spoke with a slight nasal which reminded Cyrus of another man he knows who happens to be a part of the hunters council while the other chuckled darkly.

"My bad." His voice was rough and dangerous, Cyrus felt himself shiver.

"Right, now, I need to know if it's done. Did you take everyone out? "The nasal voiced man asked with a tinge of hatred.

"Every last panther in that herd is gone, yes." The bigger man with the cigarette said. "But, my commander took on two special ones for himself and the king."

"That wasn't part of the plan, you blood hound." The nasal man spat out causing the bigger guy to snarl and Cyrus caught the sight of his gleaming white fangs poking out from his gums. Vampire." Don't think you scare me, Castel, "the nasal voice male said." The deal was that you execute them anyways you see fit, not keep hostages. "

"If I remember correctly, the deal is as follows, 'Kill every single panther shifter in the herd', you said panthers, not humans." There was silence and Cyrus looked to his mother who stared at the ground with a glare.

"There were humans? "The nasal voiced man said with disbelief.

"Well, they weren't exactly human, but they were not panthers, that I can assure you."

"You are breaking the rules by keeping them, you know that right? If you are keeping an unknown supernatural species the council will find you. "

"As they will you, my dear hunter." The vampire purred and pushed the other man against the wall. "As I remember, you are also involved in this mess, it was you who ordered the murder of innocent panthers who are nearly extinct as it is." The vampire said trailing his tongue up the side of the other man's neck.

"But, I-I.. "

"You what?" The vampire queried. "Only carrying out orders? It doesn't matter, either way, when it comes down to it, you go down with my kind."  Then the vampire chuckled and vanished into thin air.

Cyrus was flabbergasted, he wasn't sure what to make out of the entire ordeal, his mother pulled him along, getting them away before they were caught, if they hadn't been already. They walked to their original destination and Cyrus was still trying to make sense of things. His mother turned to him, turquoise eyes to turquoise eyes.

"Mom, "

"I know." She said with a frown.

"How could they do that? Kill innocent shifters?? For what? For fun? "Cyrus yelled lowly." They can't get away with this. "His mother smiled a soft reassuring and proud smile." They can't. "

"They won't, the Supreme council will hear of this soon if not later." His mother said. "But, for now, how about we get rid of some vampires?" Cyrus smiled, his gun, filled with bullets made of wood in the shape of small stakes, already in hand.

"Oh, let's. "